[Code Freeze] Abacus Counting Machine

Greetings,

I updated to v1.0.4, removed and tried to recreate my motion child app and I get the following:

Had some left over code in there. All fixed

New Version on Github...
V1.0.5 - 01/04/19 - Removed some left over code causing an error.

Thank you for the great apps and the ultra fast support. Error is gone.

1 Like

Anyone have issues with HUB performance with this app? I installed it this morning along with Device Watchdog. Soon after, I did a z-wave repair and my HUB locked up. Support is telling me the apps are the cause of the locked up and suggest I uninstall them for now.

Sorry, not me.
For me, the App is busy counting things I didn't know I wanted counted. :slight_smile:

I have both apps and have not (yet) noticed any problems.

That sounds pretty generic, "Which App(s)" are causing an issue? Are you seeing any errors in the log? Also, make sure you are running the latest version of each app.

No error in the logs from your apps. No evidence provided that show that they are the problem either. Just that I should uninstall them because the we're the cause of the lockup. I woul love to see what ever they are using to determine that myself.

All the Apps that subscribe to "everything" are on the bad boys list, I feel.

There are a whole group of Apps that want to know about every event from a list of pretty much every device and virtual. When we users select "too much" -- some magic threshold -- the App will slow the hub down.

Homebridge is/has been on the list. But I "only" have 45 devices in the list. I have removed Homebridge three times due to this rumor over the past 6 months or so. I've never been able to see any difference after removal.

One App that hasn't been nominated to the bad boys list is Link to Hub. :slight_smile: It does the same thing, as Homebridge: send events to some other machine.

This app counts events, perhaps limit yourselves to no more than 20 devices, then if that proves stable, go to 40. I think it's equally fair to say it would be the total number of events, period, that's the issue. 20 devices that have 8 events a day is not at all the same as 2 devices with 600 events a day.

ApiXU is another App that does it's part to keep the Hub from getting to cold. :slight_smile: 58,000 events:
Showing 1 to 10 of 59,451 entries

A motion sensor shows:
Showing 1 to 10 of 4,714 entries

My opinion alone.. reading the tea leaves. (history of issues discussed here in the forum)

I accidentally deleted Homebridge yesterday. (Clicked Delete instead of Done.) and reinstalled this morning. It's been 5hs 30 min. I've got logs for 145 events. That's 2.25 events per minute. I really really hope the hub can handle that. :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

Well, in Abacus - Intense counting I have 22 devices selected, in Abacus - Time Traveler I have 32 items selected and in Device Watchdog I have 47 in one child device and another 48 in a second child device. Yup, just went and counted each one!

I can honestly say my system is screaming fast. I have over 250 devices and use over 30 apps...not counting the child apps. (i'm NOT going to count all of them! lol). Everything is motion controlled. This hub is a beast, in a good way!

//rant
It would be nice if we could see inside their magic ball to see which apps are causing issues but anytime someone (anyone!) has asked about it, we get the same answer... we don't share that information...there is no information you can't already see...the developer should know how to write code...the developer should know how to troubleshoot the code... but if WE CAN'T SEE THE ERRORS, we can't possible know where to start! :roll_eyes:
//end rant

"Now back to our regularly scheduled program" :grinning:

5 Likes

@bptworld I like the rant BUT...

What if they are telling the truth? What if they see only YARDS of:

app 123 Err
app 123 Err
app 123 Err

They then ask the user, "what's app # 123? Cuz I'm seeing lots of errors on it." User: Oh that's {app from bad boys list}

What if they really don't know more than us? Have you asked @bobbyD to tell you what he sees on YOUR hub with 150 of 250 devices subscribed to? I am playing devil's advocate here. :slight_smile: If there's detail we can use, I'd like it too BUT we've seen staff be extraordinarily honest on many fronts.

1 Like

While it's true I have no problems with the hub or the people running it. There seems to be a sore spot about this subject. How can we see absolutely no errors in the log but they can look for 2 seconds in 'their' logs and say, "oh yeah it's that app right there!" Something just doesn't add up. (no pun intended!)

2 Likes

New version on Github...

V1.0.7 - 01/27/19 - Create a tile so counts can be used on Dashboard

Picture of a dashboard in post #2!

That works well, but brings up the lack of format control in the dashboard in general. I eagerly await some work on the dashboard itself. (And am quite happy to wait) Thanks to you, and the HE crew!

1 Like

New version on Github...

V1.0.8 - 02/16/19 - Big maintenance release. Reworked a lot of code as I continue to learn new things.

New Version on Github...

V1.0.9 - 03/20/19 - Major rewrite to comply with Hubitat's new dashboard requirements.

Be sure to update the child and the driver.

Take a look at the new examples in post #2!

2 Likes

@bptworld is there a way to reset the counts on this? I have been searching for a way to count how many times in a month my washer/dryer have run using something like the zooz zen 16 power monitor.

This app isn't available right now. In the process of a major rewrite.

But yes, there will be a way to reset the data.

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks so much. I am by no means a programmer but if you need any help testing end user functionality out I'd be happy to help. Do you foresee this as something that will be available in the relatively near future?

1 Like

Abacus Counting Machine is BACK!

Completely NEW code.

New version on GitHub!

Note: If still using the old Abacus - Intense Counting, you will need to completely delete that app and install this new one.

1 Like