[Code Freeze] Abacus Counting Machine

Introducing 'Abacus Counting Machine'
Count how many times a Device is triggered. Displays Daily, Weekly, Monthly and Yearly counts!

6/20/20 - Complete rewrite :grin:, New comments start @ post 40

Features:

• Nothing like it on Hubitat or ST!
  • Select any Acceleration, Motion, Contact, Switches and/or Thermostats.
  • Displays Daily, Weekly, Monthly and Yearly count for each device.
  • Can be very useful to track patterns. You'll be amazed how many times the freezer door gets opened in a day or how many times the toilet gets flushed! Anything is possible!
  • Display all stats on your dashboards
  • Parent/Child App structure
  • Create as many child apps as needed

Apps can be found on my GitHub or by using Bundle Manager.

When reporting problems...

• Be sure you are on the latest version. I won't troubleshoot an older version.
  • Turn on debug and screenshot the issue happening in the log. One line or just the error doesn't cut it. I need a log.
  • Post the screenshot of the log with an explanation of the problem.

Thanks

Note: If using Smartly, add this to your CSS within the Dashboard settings.

.tile-primary, .tile-contents{
   height: 100% ;
}
11 Likes

Screenshot of the 'Abacus Report'

Dashboard:

5 Likes

New version on Github...

V1.0.1 - 12/31/18 - Major rewrite to how the app finds new devices and sets them up for the first time. You will need to delete any lines that have null in them or delete the child app and start over. Sorry.

This is cool! I'll take any opportunity to log data. Never know when I'll need it.

1 Like

Cool idea! And much easier than other logging solutions I've tried. :slight_smile: (Still trying to get InfluxDB and Grafana to work; settled for keeping my Home Assistant instance up because of the cute, short-term history charts it provides.)

If you ever get bored and want to add more features, thermostat support might be a nice addition (how many times it turned on--or, I guess, went into whatever selected operating state(s)--is what I'm thinking). I didn't see a way to do that, though I had already thought about creating a virtual switch that turned on every time my thermostat went into heating, so that would be a workaround for anyone else who is thinking about this too.

1 Like

Exactly what I was thinking.

@bptworld Bryan, this is great! Thank you.

Almost got that Thermostat and more working. Doing some testing now on it.

@bjcowles, much too kind. Thank you very much the donation!

1 Like

Bad news... Found nasty typo in counter reset modules... testing and will post update shortly.

Good news... update will include Thermostats! :grin:

1 Like

Alright, let's try this again!

New version up on Github...

V1.0.2 - 01/01/19 - Fixed a typo in the countReset modules. Added in ability to count Thermostats! Again, wipe is recommended.

Since it's day 1 of the new year, please just go ahead and remove all child apps and recreate them. Should be the last time we have to do that! :sunglasses:

Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks for this (and your other apps), Bryan. Am I reading this right?

I started with the switch OFF which I interpreted the instructions to mean the child app would be active. But, when no report appeared, I switched it ON and got the report.

Same question for Welcome Home.

Happy New Year.

Your picture shows two separate, unrelated options. The grey box allows you to specify an external device to turn the app on/off. You do not have this configured (and don't have to as it is optional).

The toggle below that is the debug logging toggle, and has nothing to do with the enable/disable switch above it.

1 Like

:+1: D'Oh!

@JasonJoelOld nailed it.

@bptworld, thanks for creating this App. I’m now counting things that I didn’t think needed counting. It’s great. :beer:

1 Like

More excuses to putting contact sensors on everything... fridge/freezer doors, inside toilet tank, on the handle, to count flushes, add one to the doggie door... you name it!

2 Likes

Yep, the cat's litter box now has a motion sensor.

2 Likes

oh, “motion sensor”, that’s gold. :laughing:

1 Like

Ha! I wish I were witty enough to have realized that double entendre. Made me laugh. Thanks!

1 Like

New version on Github...

V1.0.3 - 01/02/19 - Changed name. Cleaned up code.

• You'll see why I changed the name in due TIME. :grin: (hint hint)
1 Like

New version on Github...

V1.0.4 - 01/03/19 - Bug fixes and a much better way to remove a device and it's stats.

Also, look for a new (different) version of Abacus - Time Traveler coming in the next few minutes!