Release 2.3.5.138 - Iris V1 Support Dropped on C8?

If SiLabs releases a fix, will you re-enable Iris v1 devices? I have devices that are V1 I love and won't update to the C8 unless they come too. I'm sure I'm not the only one to have many hundreds of dollars worth of these devices.

2 Likes

I'm not any part of Hubitat, I'm just a guy that owns a Hub or more with opinions and advice. :smiley:

Why would you even want to migrate to a C-8? There's nothing wrong with the C-5 or C-7. You can easily do the antenna mod on them and have one of the C-8's big benefits, if that was your motivation. Why not put it off for 6 months or so to let SiLabs do whatever it is they might do? Then you can migrate "last" of all the Iris V1 owners :smiley: Let someone else blaze that path :smiley:

I don't know @mike.maxwell any better than you I suspect, but I imagine he'd love to get it working again because the satisfaction level is way up there. Right now, he's blocked in by SiLabs, I believe.

9 Likes

To add to what @csteele has said, if you do upgrade you can always keep your previous hub to use with the v1's and just use hub mesh.

As to SiLabs "fixing" something for a very small subset of devices when no other devices are having major issues (that we're aware of) is likely not going to happen. 1st the iris stuff didn't follow the full zigbee protocol specs (think some ikea and aqara stuff). While being able to finagle it with a 1.2 coordinator was possible, it may just not be possible ever with the 3.0. Honestly even had I had v1's I couldn't complain because HE gave them extended life when everyone thought they were boned when Lowes stopped iris. Fortunately v2 and v3 still work. I just don't hold out on any hope because devices that do follow the full zigbee spec don't have problems connecting to 3.0 coordinators.

I completely agree, besides when Lowes was dropping Iris, any V1 products we had on our system they reimbursed us full retail price Heck I bought clearance stuff all over and installed it before the date, and i gto a check for about $1500 from lowes. So most of us that have V1 really did not loose out on anything and if support for them is no longer available (at no fault of Hubitat), then give them away to friend or family if your on a C8.

I have a C5 running along with my C8 (C5 for all network devices) and a C7 that is going to my brother, in the process of removing all my V1 stuff and replacing it with other stuff I already have (Got a bunch of contacts for under $4 each and work great) and all my V1 stuff I will be passing on also to my brother. Which mean more users using Hubitat. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

And you will be providing tech support for him for the rest of your life.

1 Like

If it's anything like my situation (only family member who is remotely technical) he's already stuck with that. :wink:

3 Likes

Nah, Iris stuff is set and forget. And at that point he can just pull a Wink on his brother and not answer the phone or emails :rofl:

2 Likes

:joy: I already due with other stuff, but he helps me with home improvement stuff, so it balances out.

2 Likes

Bro: I'm having a problem with this contact sensor

Albert: Build me a deck first

7 Likes

We all know the chances of SiLabs pushing out a fix is highly unlikely. They don’t seem to look back once something is released, just forward to the next thing.

3 Likes

Does anyone know if the Orbit 27087 water hose controller that works with Iris is Iris V1 or one of the later Iris versions?

The orbits are standard Zigbee.

2 Likes

Does anyone have experience with the Iris (Centralite) 3210-L Smartplug (and Zwave & Zigbee repeater) on a C8 or C8-Pro hub? I believe they are Zigbee 1.2 HA, but it's unclear how (or if) that corresponds to the version for devices that are incompatible with the C8 series.

I don't really mind replacing/upgrading my 3x Iris v1 motion detectors if I get a C8 series hub, but it would be a greater inconvenience (and cost) to replace 6x smart plugs/repeaters.

They are Iris v2 devices. And are fine on a C-8.

Edit: I wouldn't use the z-wave portion of these devices on any Hubitat .... unless you upgraded the firmware on the plugs.

2 Likes

I have about 7 or 8 Lowes Iris 3210-L smart outlets paired to my C8-Pro hub (they were paired to my C3, C7, and C8 hubs previously) with no issues.

I do NOT use the Z-Wave repeater portion of these devices, so I don’t know how well those work. I know some folks do not believe they work very well. This was true even when they were brand new many years ago (I.e. not just a problem on Hubitat.)

2 Likes