[Solved] Release 2.3.1.142 and Schlage locks

Anyone else having an issue where Schlage locks using native driver Schlage BE468/469 are completely unresponsive since R2.3.1.142 was deployed?

These were operating normally for several months previously.

Thanks!

I've gone through all the recent 2.3.1 releases (both when it was in beta and the official releases) w/out issue w/my Schlage lock. I've never had any isssues w/my Schlage, either on SmartThings or here on HE.

Have you checked your batteries...they tend to report OK forever and then can die quickly.

Also look at your Z-Wave Details page (Settings>Z-Wave Details) to ensure you don't have any Z-Wave ghosts (devices that don't show any info in the Route column.

1 Like

No problem with my 3 locks. I'm also using reliable locks app. Before using that app I often had problems with my locks, not anymore.

https://community.hubitat.com/t/release-reliable-locks/11382

Nope. Have 3 that are fine. But do this. Shut down your hub via settings. Unplug power at the wall (not the hub) for 5 mins then power back up. See if everything returns to normal.

BTW did you update your z-wave stack?

3 Likes

Good question/point.

@gwp1 - you'll see a button labeled "Z-Wave Firmware Update" on the upper left side of your Z-Wave Details page if there is Z-Wave Firmware update that has not been applied. If you've already applied the Z-Wave firmware update as a part of updating to 2.3.1, then the button will not appear.

1 Like

Looking at this.

First I've ever heard of this magical button - it is there, I am doing that update now.

2 Likes

@rlithgow1 FTW! :slight_smile:

The button only appears when there is a FW update, which happens very infrequently.

If the Z-Wave FW update doesn't complete properly (in some cases the FW update may not complete) then:

• Shut down the hub using the Shut Down command
  • Pull power at the wall and wait 5 minutes
  • Plug in to restart
  • Go to Z-Wave Details page
  • Wait 10 minutes
  • Start the update again

Reason being is that going to the Z-Wave Details page kicks off a bunch of background communication that can conflict w/the update in some cases.

Most likely it will just complete the first try, but some users had issues and the steps above seemed to resolve them.

Ran successfully on the first try - woohoo! Not to see about the locks...

And I'll be dipped, that firmware magic did the trick. Locks back to normal op. Thanks for this - I know now to check this every once and again.

3 Likes

Radio firmware updates are extremely rare. There have only been two since the C-7 was released two years ago.

That being said, I am anticipating another z-wave radio firmware update relatively soon.

Unfortunately, this fix seems to have been a temporary one as both locks have gone on strike again. I'm shutting down the hub/unplugging now.

@jbilodea - installed the app and no dice (though it did send me a nice notification that the lock I tested did not respond.)

Did you shut down and unplug the hub for 5 mins?

1 Like

Underway currently.

3 Likes

Ok, as much as I like to troubleshooting to determine exactly what the issue is... I'm short on time today and just did "all the things".

• Updated the z-wave firmware
  • Restarted the hub
  • Replaced the batteries all around
  • Added Reliable app (nice app, btw, may switch over.)

Some combination of all of these has both locks up and running swimmingly again.

Thanks all for your really quick responses and guidance - much appreciated!

3 Likes

Checked the batteries?

Also I find that sometimes all I need to do is unplug the battery pack in the lock for a few then plug back in. Though it has been some time since I have had any issue.

Edit. Looks like you beat me to it. Glad it's going for you again.

2 Likes

Likely it was the shutdown. Some people have problems with z-wave after updates. The shutdown procedure we outlined clears the z-wave radio. It's why I usually recommend that first. Glad it's all working for you.

At least I now know I wasn't the only one that issues with battery operated Z-Wave devices after the update. :grinning:

1 Like