Release 2.2.8.143 Can't install new rules

You referenced the variable, not the connector. In fact, Between Two Times doesn't even offer connectors. Another thing to address.

They may have connectors, but that isn't sufficient; my point is that they would need to be used in the condition. Unfortunately, I just tested that, and I can't find a way to do so if it is indeed possible (custom attribute comes close but would be really messy). I might be missing something... (EDIT: from Bruce's comment above, maybe that is coming soon!)

But: you could certainly do this as a conditional in your actions rather than as a predicate, as you appear to be doing in one of the examples you posted above. This should work fine since you don't need a predicate condition to make this rule work (e.g., to capture a specific state change).

I'm working on this now, thanks to this thread. It was just missed before.

4 Likes

2 Likes

I hadn't had time to respond earlier. My original rule also had set a predicate in between two times, using the hub variables and thinking it was using the connectors automagically.

This explains the problem :slight_smile:

@bravenel Thanks for following up on this. Looking at the screenshot, you got this already.

1 Like

Just updated to 2.2.8.145 and created a new rule with a predicate set between two times, using variable connectors. It crashed

Some more information on this. Initially creating the predicate, when you select a variable, the dropdown shows the variables, not the connectors.

When you create the predicate with fixed times, and then go back in the condition to edit it to change the fixed times to variables, then the dropdown shows the variable connectors and the condition saves successfully.

I tried going into the predicate area of 2 existing RM5 rules after updating from 143 to 145 to try the new datetime connector and got a similar error. Here's one rule:

Here's the error just by clicking on the Define Predicate Conditions:

and the log entry

Sorry about this. Will investigate.

Okay... the Predicate works now with selecting variable connectors. However, building the rule from scratch, it now crashes when trying to add Actions

Please open a Logs tab, and hit refresh on that page. Then post a screenshot of the error here.

Never mind that, I am able to reproduce the crash. Investigating...

Oh good. The error in the log is the same as the erorr in the screenshot above "Unexpected Error"

Found and fixed... Next release.

3 Likes

Not sure it's related but the latest release (2.2.8.147) I noticed that selecting Time of day under Predicates defaults to between 2 times and there's no apparent way to use just a single time.

This is correct. Basically, you're saying you'd want a predicate that would be true for just a single minute each day?

No, I have no need - Thanks! I'll be happy when the between work

I did look at this originally, and it was problematic. The thing about a Time of Day Predicate is that it needs to schedule two times, one to begin the period and one to end it. When there is a single time, as there could normally be in a Time of Day Condition, coming up with the second time proved to be challenging. In that case the second time should be one minute after the one selected time. When you toss in all of the complexity that things like offsets from sunrise and sunset pose, this just became a tall order for an edge case. You can use Between Two Times with the times one minute apart to get the same outcome.

2 Likes

BTW - Thank you !! for the ability to add comments within the rules.