Regular Frustrating Issues

Remove power to the ghosts and then do 2 repairs on them. Then delete will be available. As long as the hub can ping the ghosts it wont let you remove them.

3 Likes

Any that look like that are "left-overs" from a device pairing where the pairing failed to complete the first time.

Ghosts are usually from the next device in the list - e.g., if you have a ghost followed by a light switch, then the ghost ususally is the remnants of the previous attempt to pair that switch.

You can try to remove the ghosts by doing the following:

1. Remove power from the device following the ghost in the Z-Wave Details list. For switches w/an air gap this is pretty easy - pulling out the air gap will kill power to the switch. If you can't do that then you may have to flip a breaker the switch is on (make sure your hub isn't on that same circuit!) to kill power to the switch.
  2. Hit the Refresh button on the ghost device (often takes repeated tries w/Refresh button) until a "Remove" button appears on the ghost. Then hit Remove (may also take repeated tries) to remove the ghost device.

In some cases the hub is unable to remove a ghost device on it's own...in that case it requires a secondary controller joined to HE to remove them. Info on that below if you get stuck.

Ghost Removal - Who you gonna call?

Until the ghosts are removed your hub/automations will not work reliably.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this - I haven't tried that approach in the past. Have you found that faster/more reliable than Refresh (which isn't terribly fast/reliable in some cases). :wink:

Repair is slower but works in some edge cases that refresh didn't. Refresh is fast and if it works then that would be better.

3 Likes

Good - I'll add it to my suggested repetoire for folks who are haunted. Thanks!

2 Likes

In one of these ghost instances there are actually 5 in a row before the next non-ghost device. Could they all be ghosts of that one device?

That's definitely possible. If the pairing missed completing multiple times you could end up w/multiple ghosts. You can also turn off power to multiple items below the ghosts if just killing power to teh first device after the ghosts doesn't help.

Okay, I got a Z Stick and the Simplicity software. Figured out how to use and managed to remove all but one "Ghost". I've tried multiple times and it simply won't go away.

Any further ideas?

By the way, thanks for all the help so far.

Try shutting down your hub and then removing power from it (at the plug) wait 30s and then plug back in to restart it.

If the ghost persists after rebooting, try removing again with the stick.

1 Like

Tride this. It didn't wotk either.

Pulling the power resets the radio. This is required when the radio gets hung up. You can see evidence of this sometimes with busy messages in the logs. You won't be able to remove the ghost if the hub can still ping it. Not being able to remove the last ghost tells me that it is responding to pings. If your switches have an air gap then pull out these on your switches and remove the ghost again.

If not then try flipping all the breakers except for the one powering your hub and rounter. If you still cant track it down, then try pulling the batteries out of any battery devices.

2 Likes

I know this is an old post but wanted to be clear for the fans at home - you are not referring to the first 4 entries right? Those are generated by HE and should not be messed with...

Note: I'm not sure you can actually get rid of them but thought I'd mention it anyway.

No, not those ones. I know that they are untouchable.

3 Likes

I'll give this a try when i have sufficient time.

3 Likes