Refrigerator Temp Monitor

I am using Hue Outdoor Motion Sensors (got a slack handful at £19 ea on an Amazon sale) in both freezers and fridge, all stainless steel clad and they work great.

Can even trap if the door is open by detection of luminance, door opening triggers motion.

1 Like

3 months later, Hue indoor motion sensor still going strong.

I was previously using 433Mhz temp sensors.

The Indoor Hue Sensors usually run a couple of years on two AAA batteries - I would expect the same from the Outdoor ones especially as the have the bigger AA batteries.

1 Like

I just got 10 Iris V1 contact sensor to check the temperature in my freezers. Which type should I use ? I tried 3 different devices and when I clicked configure nothing happen­.

If my experiences with LoRa devices are any indication, Zwave LR sensors should have no problem being placed in a fridge/freezer (when they finally come to market).

My LoRa temp sensor in my beer fridge has to go through 4 stucco walls and 75ft distance to get to the hub, and it still has plenty of signal strength to spare.

1 Like

I have a sensative comfort strip in my fridge and it's been fine down to 8degC and the signal gets through the fridge walls ok. It also detects if the light is on in the fridge and if it's still on after several minutes warns me the door may have been left open :slight_smile:

1 Like

I never had any issues with monitoring fridge temperature. I started out using a Smartthings multi-sensor but replaced it with a Sonoff humidity & temperature sensor just because the multi-sensor could be put to better use elsewhere.
I've also used a SwitchBot humidity & temperature sensor as I wanted a display when I opened the door. They all work/worked well.
For the freezer I found nothing with a button cell lasted long, so i use a Smartthings leak sensor and the battery is 87% after many months.

Hi, what drive are you using? I've made several attempts with the drive that has Hubitat and I can't in any way take the temperature measurement. I have a ZMNHND3 with the ZMNHEA1 meter. Searching the Qubino website, it says that the temperature function is not supported in Hubitat, is this correct?

Use the Visonic MCT-370. Works inside of a freezer.

Hey, battery on the Hue is down to 75% since Feb '21.

1 Like

"Page not found" on your Qubino - The Smartest House links. Thanks.

You do realize that you’re pointing out that a link is no longer valid after 1 1/2 years…

4 Likes

How long did the hue motion sensor end up lasting for you? Also what is the model number? I see a Hue motion sensor on amazon but there is no mention of it being able to measure temperature. Thank You!

It's the older indoor version, model SML001.
I put it in a plastic zip lock bag back and popped it into the freezer door of my side by side back in Feb '21.
Batteries are at 60%
It's still ticking away:
edit: I didn't realize this was an old thread, lol.

2 Likes

it was an old thread yes but it seemed most revelant to what i need to do. thank you for the reply! Wasn't sure if you would after all this time!

1 Like

For what it's worth, I experienced rapid battery depletion when depending on the coin battery in the sensor, so I wired it to an external AA battery pack that lives under the fridge.

I ran into other issues, though. The temp in the fridge seems to vary dramatically depending on location. It can't be close to cold intake from the freezer at the meat drawer, can't be too close to a wall containing heaters (yes, your refrigerator may have a heater in it to control humidity), and can't be too close to the shelf where we may put in a casserole dish that is initially 200 degrees F.

Ideally the sensor should be in a liquid that dampens the volatility and more accurately reflects the temperature of the contents. I may try that someday when I'm up to my wife asking, "Why is there this little white box at the bottom of the milk?".

1 Like

If you put a Zigbee contact sensor on the door, then it should last a considerable length of time.
Enclosing the sensor in plastic, (so as to prevent the internal battery contacts from forming condensation) will also increase the life of your sensor.

1 Like

There's a post on here somewhere regarding this....

Great read.

1 Like

If it's all too hard and won't work well... perhaps just setup a reminder to check the fridge each night before going to bed? I know it's not a sexy HA solution.... but if that's what works... If not, that's cool (pardon the pun)... Just an idea...

Also, I am notified if the Hue sees an illuminescence of more than 5 lux for a minute.
I just checked it out. I had it set for 100 lux, which apparently was too much.
It does prove conclusively, however, that the light does indeed go out when the door is closed. :slight_smile:

3 Likes