Refresh Lights non tunable A19 ...specifically Osram Lightify

I decided to start a new topic since there isnt much i found on refreshing devices. I woke up this am and all 10 of my bulbs were on:open_mouth:. i made a simple test for refreshing standard smart bulbs, non tunable, not rgb and also are dimmable.

i have 7 osram lightify A19 and 3 sengled element classics

i made a virtual switch (when on lights on, when off lights off)

i made a rule when any light changed refresh all the lights

here is a screen shot of my last event:

i read the osrams are horrible. the sengled dont have a refresh option. all bulbs are sporadic (even when i had smartthings). i have changed the bulb types from generic zigbee to rgb and rgbw as someone suggested but i get the same results. the sengled i have never changed the device type as they have a hubitat driver already. How in the world do you get the lights to show correct status? am i the only one that has this problem? Please advise.

This feels like a weak zigbee mesh issue. Status not updating is typically seen on poor z-wave meshes. In my experience, if you can control a zigbee device, then its status will be reliable too.

Do you have zigbee repeaters in your house? You might consider adding a $10 peanut or two to help the mesh.

1 Like

i dont really know for sure. the osram bulbs are poor zigbee repeaters. the sengled i heard are not repeaters. Basically here is what i have if you can tell me if they are zigbee repeaters or not would be great.

7 osram bulbs

3 sengled bulbs

2 iris motions v4

1 smarthings motion and 2 multipurpose sensors

1 zipato siren

1 dome siren and 1 contact

14 xiamoi/aquara contacts and 1 humidty sensor

1 iris kepad v2

2 visonic contacts

i have no switches, outlets and such as i hear they are good repeaters. my cable modem and router are in the basement, 1 access point first floor with the hubitat, switch, harmony hub, camera dvr, chromecasts, firestick, ect, 2nd access point on 2nd floor.

You need some repeaters. Peanut plug is $10 on amazon currently, I would add 2 or 3.

whats a peanut plug? i just ordered some more sengled from amazon like an hour ago...lol

Update: i found it...never heard of it thought...thx.

If the bulbs are Sylvania (Ledvance), there were firmware updates recently for all of the RGBW lights on SmartThings. There may be updates for the others as well, but only for the sylvania branded bulbs, not Osram (the name on the bulb itself). I updated the firmware to 102428 on all of my Sylvania RGBW bulbs and have been very happy with their performance. I will admit that I have 3 Samsung outlet plugs, 6 peanut plugs, and 3 Sylvania plugs.
I also would advice you to change the transition time (on the device page) on each bulb to at least 1.5 seconds, otherwise the state of the bulb will not be correct. I found that 1.5 seconds was the minimum amount of time I could set and still get the correct state reported.

thanks but unfortuantely i have all osram stamped bulbs. I also dont have a transition time listed for them in HE. I dont think i ever updated the FW on them when i had them on smartthings but i read today there is a way to do that without the sylvania hub or whatever so I will try hooking them back up to the ST to update the firmware. I believe its a combo of things. I beleive the mesh isnt great so i will take his advice and get repeaters along with trying to update the firmware and then use them as secondary bulbs like in the hallways and such.

I see ironically someon opened a post similiar regarding reporting issues for RGBW and BR30 style osram/lightify lights.

just an update...to both of you. i removed all my bulbs and paired them with ST...the firmware is up to date. 2 out of my 7 bulbs show sleepy end device while the other 5 are routers. idk how to change this so it stayed. I also used a ge link DTH on smartthings to change the delay like Ken suggested even tho it was a different type of delay regarding dim and transition time. i then removed them from both hubs ST and HE and repaired to HE....WOW what a difference! its only been a night but everything was pretty much instant so the mesh was screwey too. Origionally i added the bulbs first to HE then my other devices. i read to add the bulbs last so your other devices can establish a better repeater rather than using the bulb as a repeater.

i ordered some peanuts and will add these too. the only problem i have so far is when the lights go off...it doesnt report with out a refresh...so i just added a refresh command on my rules as the last step which so far works flawlessly. thx for the help.

Rule of thumb, if it's battery powered; not a repeater. Sengled made the decision to make their bulbs non-repeating. The bad zigbee bulb repeating issue you read about is caused by products with zigbee ZLL and ZHA profiles not working well together. ZLL is a subset of ZHA and doesn't always pass along all the ZHA traffic. The only z-wave gotcha is a feature called beaming; z-wave locks only listen well to a repeater that supports beaming.

Only your osram bulbs look to be repeaters and I think they're zll (zigbee light link) while your battery powered devices are ZHA (zigbee home automation).

Inexpensive appliance/lamp adapters often called Peanut plugs are inexpensive ZHA repeaters.

Not sure where he is from, but in the US Osram bulbs are ZHA. ZLL in Europe I believe.

There have been at least two versions of the Osram Lightify, one ZLL and one ZHA in circulation; I remember way back when I bought my first bulbs at Lowe's having a choice between two part numbers (one of which was on sale) which looked from all appearances to be identical. Now I suspect one was ZLL and the other ZHA. Someday I'll dig out my Lightify gateway and see what firmware levels they are. The firmware levels of each type are documented here:

I thought I read that a firmware update to US Osram bulbs, that broke Hue compatibility, changed them all to ZHA.
Either way I would stay away from the Sylvania/Osram branded bulbs. The Sylvania/LEDvance on the other hand are working perfectly for me since the recent update, and use a different SOC than the Osram ones. I also doubt there will be any future support for the Osram bulbs since LEDvance took over the product line. It’s a shame there is no distinction between old and new versions of these. The A19 RGBW bulbs have the same model number printed on the bulb, but are the same in appearance only.

interesting to know all this as i was unaware. Like Tony above i bought 3 bulbs at lowes as the first thing with smartthings way back, everything else came after. thats why i switched to sengled awhile back as i started to learn about the osrams and issues with them. I couldnt find a bulb under 20 back then and i think lowes had them for like 12 bucks or something. in fact i bought the hue ones first but took it back becuase i didnt want to buy the hue hub in addition to smart things hub. thanks for all the info though and ill use these osrams in closets and such for simple lighting rules and keep the sengled for the complex rules for the other rooms.

I just discovered what is probably the solution for your Osrams not reporting back their state. I have been having the same problem with mine, the rgbw and ct changing bulbs. I didn't see it before because I use primarily switches, but have been recently using the dashboard more and started to see lights still on, and when I refreshed the device, it was off. So, I thought I would try a different driver, for fun and all. It turns out that the Sengled color plus driver that mike maxwell recently finished up works great for the rgbw lights, both old and new versions. Then I tried out the Sengled plus driver and it works perfectly for the CT bulbs. So, I thought of you with the issue you were having with the regular Osrams and thought this might work for you. If you change the driver to the Sengled Classic, save, then hit configure and adjust any preferences it has. Stay on the device page and turn it on and off and see if it now updates correctly. I think it takes about 5 seconds for the device page to update the status btw. Let me know if that works for you. FYI: Mike told me it "can't hurt, it's just commands" or something like that when I asked if I was going to damage my lights by changing drivers.

thx for the update... i think i tried the HE version sengled elements driver at one point. I only have osram and sengled bulbs. started out with osram but switched to sengled because of the reporting and sengled doesnt act as a repeater. I tried the GE zigbee driver and that seemed to report best for me. I have not tried those by that Mike guy though...just the sengled HE versions.

Another issue i never brought up is the osrams when physically switched off show as on,,,,the sengled report correctly...even with the different drivers for osram they still wont report when offline vs sengled when offline. This is big for me cause we use our use physical and programmatic for most of our lights. For the record i have (non tunable for both brands) 7 osrams, 7 sengled and 2 sengled color plus. I will update using Mike's drivers and keep you posted.

You can't put these (or any zwave or zigbee bulb) on the end of a physical switch and expect everything to work correctly, firstly they are routers, the osrams struggle even doing this, but if you power them off, everything that was using it as a router now has nowhere to go.
They obviously cant report their state correctly if they have no power to their radio, this is typical for any device that's mains powered.

There is one and only one bulb device line I'm aware of that can be safely used in conjunction with a physical switch, those being sengled bulbs, as they aren't routers in the first place, and they are specifically built to provide an off message as their last gasp effort when they loose power...

2 Likes

makes sense and thats exactly what they do when offline...show on...i moved these osrams to less used areas that we dont physically switch on/off often like the hallways and such. BTW where is your driver code located for the Sengled element color plus that Ken was talking about? Is it the one in the HE list or is it a custom driver I would add as code?

Anything I write is included in our platform releases, we don't publish drivers in the community.

gotcha...i just tried the sengled element plus and classic for the osram and it reports perfectly....nice..thanks to both for updating me. that 50% better than before. Now i will work on a notify rule for when offline (physically off) so at least I know when i look at my dashboard...(and they show on due to being offline).

1 Like