Recommended Zigbee Bulbs

Thanks for the info...:grinning:

1 Like

TY:smiley:

1 Like

Oh --- and welcome to the community!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Cree = :bomb: :boom:
Trust me ... don't buy them. Unless you use @adamkempenich 's lightify app/integration.

Thanks...I saw the Cree listed on the supported devices page but the Singled seem to be the best recommended Zigbee bulbs.....I wonder why there are not more Z-Wave bulbs listed....Price or just no demand?.....

Price is a factor. There was a post here yesterday explaining the difference between zigbee and z-wave. It was really informative. I have a couple of z-wave bulbe, but they are considerably more expensive than zigbee. After watching that video, I have a better understanding. I tried to find it back, but it's escaped me. Perhaps someone will link it for me.
[Found it]
https://community.hubitat.com/t/z-wave-vs-zigbee-vs-wi-fi/34148

1 Like

No z-wave group messaging, so unless you like watching your lights come on one by one......

The Lightify bulbs have a major weakness I've found. If you do have them in a fixture that can be turned on/off manually, they will go into an on/off cycle when powered on manually instead of just staying on. If you are able to put them in fixtures that can't be switched, or you have a more well trained household, then it shouldn't be an issue.

I have over 60 Sylvania RGBW lights and have never seen this happen. Iโ€™m curious how this is happening for you. Are they connected to the Lightify geteway or Hubitat?
If I power them off and on from a switch they just come on to the last setting.

I have 4 of these bulbs. They did the same thing on rapsBee/Deconz and Hubitat The ones I have are the A19 Warm White bulbs.

Are those the old Osram labeled ones? I assure you that I havenโ€™t seen this with the newer ones on ST, HE, or the Lightify gateway. I would recommend having a Lightify gateway for updating the firmware though (on the new ones at least), as the updates fixed the issues I had with them.
They used to flash and reset if I used the ramp up dimmer command with a button controller and held it too long. That was a pia. All fixed thankfully with the latest firmware (Feb 2019).

If @J.B.Kuma has Deconz running than the bulbs can be updated with the firmware from the Ledvance website:

https://update.ledvance.com/firmware-overview?submit=all

I am a big fan of Zigbee bulbs on the Hubitat network. I did find the original OSRAM Lightify bulbs (sold in the US, the replacements are branded Sylvania Smart+) with the Marvell SOC to cause issues but have had good luck with the newer bulbs. I have Sylvania, Ecosmart, and a Tradfri bulb. Ikea is the only vendor I have found that actually upgraded an older product the Zigbee 3.0. Not that it makes a difference but it seems the Zigbee 3.0 products are less complained about.

Now, thanks to @adamkempenich โ€˜s Lightify integration, you can put the older Osram lights on the Lightify gateway and use them without messing up the mesh.

1 Like

I think the so called "Zigbee bulb issue" has more to do with Marvell's SOC than bulbs. I had some Quirky products with the same SOC and they were trouble makers on the network. Also I suspect there may have been some difference in the testing for ZLL and ZHA. The Zigbee alliance certifies both the platform (SOC and network stack) and the actual devices (bulbs, sensors, hubs). So if a certified platform is used to create a bulb and say a plug, it is highly unlikely that they made changes to the bulb firmware that would cause problems. That is why I find all this talk about bulbs to be overly broad.

That being said those original bulbs that caused issues are still being sold some places and of coarse people already have them and they will cause issues.

1 Like

100% what you said

I am a noob who bought several Sengled bulbs. They were a piece of cake to add to my Hubitat Hub. Is there a step-by-step instructions on how to control them with Alexa?

The easiest way to add Alexa integration with Hubitat is to simply go into the Alexa App on your mobile phone. Then, Enable the Hubitat Skill. This will prompt you to log into your Hubitat Portal Account and select your Hubitat Hub (if you have more than one.) Once you do that, the "Amazon Echo Skill" app will automagically be installed on your hub, where you can choose which Hubitat devices you'd like to be exposed to Alexa.

Once you have your Hubitat devices showing up in Alexa, you can then create Alexa Groups within the Alexa App on your phone to organize your Echo and Smart Home devices into logical groups/rooms. By assigning an Echo device to a specific group, along with a set of lights, you can simply say "Alexa, turn on/off the lights" and only those lights in the same alexa group will be impacted.

Note, thermostats and temperature sensors are not supported via Hubitat's current Alexa Skill. Switches, Dimmers, RGBW lights, motion sensors, and contact sensors are all supported. Motion and Contact sensors can be used to Trigger an 'Alexa Routine', which can be very useful for a variety of things. One common trick is to create some Virtual Contact Sensors in Hubitat, and then expose those to Alexa. Use each one to trigger an Alexa Routine to make you Echo device(s) say something. For example, "Don't forget to take out the trash tomorrow!)" or "The Laundry is done!"

Have Fun!

Thanks for the quick response. I am having a great time learning and everyone in this community has been very helpful.

1 Like

I use Sengled bulbs because I don't want my Zigbee mesh flipping out every time someone in my household flips off a light switch. Sengled are the only bulbs, I am aware of, that do NOT act as repeaters. In my mind bulbs should never be repeaters; only devices that are permanently plugged in should be repeaters. Just my 2 cents.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.