Recommended switch to migrate to a "smart house"

Another option: both Zooz and Inovelli have announced "paddle remotes," basically similar in concept to Picos, but they look more like a paddle (Decora/decorator) switch, like some Zooz and all current Inovelli offerings. Zooz actually had theirs, the ZEN34, up for presale a while back but sold out. Being in Canada, that will probably still be more expensive for whatever reason, but possibly cheaper than a switch/dimmer. Inovelli's first attempt, Project BFF, has been delayed, but the newer Project Rock Out, looks like it might be able to get done sooner. But if you don't like Picos, you probably won't like that one, either. :slight_smile: The Eria Dimmer (standalone or replacement for a Decora switch), Hue Dimmer (standalone only, or at least it doesn't fit in any standard US plate), Lutron Aurora (screws onto a US toggle switch; no rewiring), Osram 2-button remote (standalone or screw on top of existing Decora or toggle plate--but possibly discontinued because I can't find it anymore) are a few battery-powered remote options I'm aware of if you're OK with not hardwiring things.

Or in fewer words, pretty much any button device compatible with Hubitat can be made to do what you want, so it's just a matter of how it looks and whether it can replace or cover a switch or has to be used standalone.

2 Likes

I cancelled my Inovelli order and stop trying to get the Zooz and I will attempt to use the wifi switch. I did cancel my order of Treatlife as well since I think they are not certified to be used in Canada ! I've switched to Gosund which is certified and visually look the same... For how expensive the others are, I don't get why they still put some compromises on them ! It like the Inovelli Red vs Black... I can understand charging more for the power sensor, but I don't accept limiting the multitap function on the black when it just simple software !

I hope I'll be happy with the Wifi version with custom firmware !!! I really like the idea that whatever happen, I can always upgrade it to whatever we need without having to wait for the company to decided to update it (which they most likely wont since they will have a new switch by then !) If it had a Zigbee chip in there, that would have been the BEST !!! I don't get why everyone trying to keep stuff closed down, when they know their product isn't amazing per say and they don't have the tech skill to make software integration... Let us geek do it and give us full control ! Ok morning rant mostly done :wink:

I also hope I'll be happy with the Hubitat and the Hue Bridge integration ! I've read it can be annoying to start with... And I'm coming from the Philips Hue apps that not perfect, but provide relatively quick experience to change light settings / colors and simple UI. I think my GF will mostly use the Hue App from Philips, and maybe so will I a from the youtube of the hubitat app, it seem to still be in the 90', but we shall see when I actually get to see how it look and feel to use ! But I like the idea of still having functional light switch like if it was just a regular home that doesn't require a user manual :wink:

Thanks for all your help !

Hope it goes well! For me once I got past the initial figuring out it is great. I recommend joining the 'digiblurDIY' Discord channel, and watch his YouTube vids. Tons of incredibly helpful people there - like here. I bought most all of mine from the hotdeals that they post in that channel.
Now that I have a 3d printed 'jig' for this, I can flash Tasmota on any of those dimmers in about 5 minutes total time.
Good Luck!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.