Recommended Presence sensor

Many people use motion sensors indoors to trigger lighting automations. “Presence” sensor typically implies a device that tells the hub whether you are at home or away.

If you can tell us in some more detail what your goals for lighting and fan automations are, someone can likely recommend a device, or possibly suggestions for rule logic to minimize false positive triggers.

"Espresence" is designed for presence detection in multiple locations
in the same house. However this setup is relatively complex. It requires
RPi running Home Assistant and one ESP32 per location running Espresence.
And of course, person must wear BLE Beacon.

I am using this setup for the "arrival detection".

Ok, so I have a "non-smart" ceiling fan/light. the switch of the fan/light is located at the entrance of the bedroom.

I bought a switchbot button to control the fan/light power switch via this button and a sensor.
The problem with a motion sensor is that it can't cope with someone sitting still so that is why a presence sensor is better for that job, no?

For this specific reason I have 3 MS in my bathroom.

why 3? how do you implement them?

Yes when someone is sitting still, that’s a limitation of most “motion” sensors for home automation purposes, which are typically passive infrared (PIR) sensors

The problem is there aren’t many options for occupancy sensors (a more accurate term than “presence” for this purpose) that use technology other than PIR.

Here’s an example of one, but it’s not available in the US yet.

One workaround for occupancy (without motion) is to use a pressure mat sensor under couch cushions or mattress.

1 Like

I think that what I'm seeking is best practices for bedroom sensors

Because 1 is not enough.

Any active is a trigger which turns lights on.
All inactive is a siglal to start timeout.
After timeout expired lights are off.

Multiple motion sensors can help with lighting automations, but won’t definitively solve the problem of someone sitting or lying still.

Yeah, I saw the video on the FP1. Looks interesting.
Any recommendations on a pressure mat sensor?

Maybe a motion sensor + pressure mat sensor is the answer

1 Like

I have used this one:

https://a.co/d/4LNfeYv

It’s not a smart device on its own. But it’s pretty simple to cut the wires, strip a bit of insulation at the bare ends you just cut, and connect to a z-wave or zigbee contact sensor that has wire terminals (there are a couple models that can work for this purpose).

1 Like

Unfortunately "pretty simple" is not my middle name :slight_smile: but thanks for the advice.

Partially true if somebody is absolutely motionless.
But most of the time this is not a case.
Very little motion could be invisible from one angle but could be
detected from different.

I’m far from an accomplished DIYer, but I’ve been able to do this a few times without screwing it up too badly :slight_smile:.

I think that a 3 motion sensor solution is a bit too much for me, but I do have an Aqra P1 sensor that is waiting for an integration driver. This with a pressure mat sensor could do the job.

Do you have any link for such a sensor?

Actually come to think of it, there’s a zigbee leak sensor with terminals for wires, made by third reality if I recall correctly. But contact sensors with wire terminals might be limited to z-wave.

@aaiyar might know more.

1 Like

Yup - that's the one.

https://www.amazon.com/THIRDREALITY-Notifications-Compatible-SmartThings-Batteries/dp/B08R9PS2KG/

1 Like

Thanks @aaiyar
Can you please explain what do you mean when you say "terminals for wires"?
This seems like a wireless sensor.