Recommendations for mains powered temperature sensor

I'd like to put a temperature sensor in my well pump house. It is maybe 50-60 feet line of sight from one of my hubs, with not much in between. I don't know if that will work or not, but I'll test it with some other devices I have just to see. I only need temperature, but realize the best solution might be some other sensor that just happens to report temperature also. I'd prefer to plug it in so I don't have to worry about batteries in the middle of winter.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Are you trying to insure that the temp in this pump house doesn't get below freezing? What climate do you live in (how cold could it get)?

The only one I know of off the top of my head is the aeotec multisensor.

And if you don't mind some Macguyvering... You can get USB cables and battery adapters...

1 Like

Yes. The pump house has a heater, with a primitive thermostat (just a dial with no markings on it). I just want to make sure I'm not paying to keep the room at 45 degrees, nor letting it drop below 35 or so. I live west of Seattle. So we'll get a couple of weeks where it doesn't get above 35, and nights can be in the 20s. This is only my third winter here so I don't know how cold it CAN get. But the pump house should not get below about 35.

I live in Spokane and use Iris Indoor Door and Window Sensor Model iL06-1. It has temp sensor which works perfectly for outdoor use.

1 Like

I just put a smartthings water leak sensor out there and it is reporting temperature just fine, so looks like I'm OK on distance. Since I only need this for a few months during the winter, I think I'll just get another one of these -- they are only about $16 on Amazon. This seems like the most frugal solution, and I've been able to test it. If the batteries become an issue, I'll take @napalmcsr's suggestion and try to rig up a USB charger to it.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

1 Like

I'm at a loss to think of a mains powered temperature sensor as well.

I have an Xiaomi Aqara Temp Sensor on my outside porch and it seems to work well. I've not gone through our New England winter yet so we'll see how the internal battery holds up.

These have a pretty reasonable cost. (I have the square one)

You could put one in your pump house with a new battery at the beginning of winter and see what happens.

Its a Zigbee device. I can't even guess on the 50 - 60 foot distance.

Given the distance I'd opt for a Z-wave device over a Zigbee. But if you aren't in a rush to set this up, a USB power adapter and one of these might be a good solution:

I don't know when Iman (@iharyadi) will have another batch ready. They have a better range than most Zigbee devices since they use Xbee.

I installed a Multisensor 6 outdoor outdoor (under my shed roof) and plugged it on USB power (better range and smaller reporting inverval). It its first winter but so far it worked flawlessly. I live in Quebec (Canada) and a couple of weeks ago the temperature dropped to around -17 Celcius (2 Fahrenheit) and both the temperature and moisture sensor seemed to report the correct temperature when compairing to my other non connected thermemeters. I had a trouble with range so I used a GE Z-wave outdoor plug in between my house and the Multisensor 6. I still have to confirm the sensor is reliable over years but for now it's working pretty well.

2 Likes

I have the same kind of situation as you do with a water pump that could freeze if heater breaks down, so I had a bought a Fibaro Water Sensor that supports temp reporting and also has connections to power it from a 12-24V DC wall wart. I first installed it with the batteries and then went with the wall wart. But for some reason my sensor will only report temp and it wakes up when on batteries and not at all when on DC power. So I'm relearning programming and started to port a driver from ST that should be able to bypass the problem I have with it (can't return it since I put a hole in it for the DC power cable).

For now I got the ST water sensor like you did and did not regret it at all, I actually got 2 more for use at the water heater and water softener to detect a possible leak in that area. Will convert them to DC later if I see they goes trough batteries to fast.

The Fibaro will be re-purposed for a sump pump since it has connections for an external water probe that I can put down in the sump attached to the pipes just in case the pump breaks down or if the outside pipes freeze and keep the electronics part up higher of the ground.

What about the Fibaro UBS or implant? 9-30v and up to 4 temperature probs. I have loads of them :grinning: around my place.

Perhaps we are getting a bit off topic, but I'm using the ST water sensor under my kitchen sink, with leads soldered to it extending under the dishwasher. It can now detect water with the pins on the top of the unit, the bottom of the unit, and at the end of the wire (under the dishwasher). Not an original idea -- I saw someone around here did that (wish I knew who so I could link to their post). Seems to work fine with quite long wires. The unit I have set up to detect water under the fridge is actually installed in the cabinet above (where it will be easier to change the battery). I don't see any reason you couldn't hook up several sets of wires to one if you want.

I soldered to the pins on the bottom of the unit, but the top would probably have been better -- less chance of overheating anything important when soldering. But with small gauge wire, the unit still sits flat.

But for my pump house, I decided I'll be fine with just a battery (despite the title of this topic). I only need it a few months each year anyway, so the ST sensor will be fine.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.