Recommendations for building 700 Z-WAVE network

I was re-reading the document about building a strong Z-Wave mesh. This is in anticipation of migrating my Z-Wave devices to a new C-7 hub.

Are there any additional recommendations now that the hub is a 700 series?

I was wondering if this would be a good time to invest in some new 700 series repeaters to form the backbone?

Other ideas, suggestions, recommendations?

Thanks!

This is a great start.. 700 series repeaters will get you better range.. I build out my mesh starting from the repeaters to build a solid backbone.. Then included all my mains powered devices, then battery devices..

Might I recommend the ring gen2 range extenders.. They are cheap, good, and have battery backup to keep your mesh solid when there is a power outage.

3 Likes

I have just ordered two. I may need one or two more to make a solid backbone. Thank you.

@bcopeland Bryan - did I see that these Ring Gen2 Range Extenders should be paired with S2-Authenticated? And I should expect that to be the default with this device?

Thanks - the new gear should be here Saturday!

1 Like

Ring devices should be included with the defaults.. Don't attempt to change any of the check boxes or they get temperamental..

3 Likes

Will do! Thanks!

1 Like

What devices are these? Can you link to them? Are they the ring alarm range extenders?

Yes.

So these just work as repeaters, nm the Ring brand... and they are good because they are plug in, but also have battery backup. Do I have that right?

1 Like

yep! And you can detect power outages.

Edit: wanted to also say that if you are adding to an existing network it may take a while for other devices to recognize and route through them in my experience. If building from scratch all good.

OK, thanks. I am building a fresh, new Z-Wave network for this (new) hub.

I have had a similar experience to Bryan with building a new network for a client, worked really well by setting up a framework of repeaters first.

:slight_smile:
(I do it in Node-RED, but it can be done in Hubitat, too!)

I will say that the status doesn't ALWAYS stay in sync. See below, the "MBR" one is on mains power right now...

2 Likes

With a caveat. When power comes back up, the Ring goes from battery to mains before the Hubitat comes back up, so the power status change event is missed.

You need to put a SystemStart rule to refresh the Ring Extenders so power status is correct.

Here are my rules:

Screenshots

1 Like

Good idea / practice.

Even that doesn't always work 100% of the time though. I've refreshed that one above that is stuck in "battery" many times. I need to go physically unplug/replug it to get the status back in sync.

I saw that for a few releases back about December, most recently 2.2.4.158, but my regression testing found that it was fixed as of 2.2.5.119.

Install switch plugs between them and the wall plug, then you can refresh with the plugs :thinking: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl:

1 Like

I think that one has been wrong since 2.2.4... haven't went and unplugged/replugged it since it became wrong in December.

Just now checked, working correctly (reporting mains > battery > mains, and reporting power changed events for each). C-7, 2.2.5.131, Ring Alarm Extender Gen 2, paired S2.