Recommend Motion & Contact Sensors

I did

1 Like

Damn...amazed I don't walk into walls more often... :wink:

Gotta call my doc about those new eyes I'm getting.

1 Like

Zigbee outlet replacement

Zwave Outlet replacement

I don't doubt that it is nice to move repeaters around, but sevearl of these for repeaters if scattered around a house could provide good blanket coverage as well if it is simply for repeating. Now if you want a plug to to use for certain automations then something movable is also nice.

It's not a great idea to move repeaters around. It will disrupt the mesh until it has a chance to rebuild itself.

Sorry i shouldn't have said repeaters, but more specifically the outlet. I my point was that for a repeater it should be about building the mesh out and a outlet that just looks like a outlet doesn't scream i am a smart plug mess with me or stick out so someone can bump it may be a good option from the standpoint of being a repeater.

Well I just pulled the trigger and ordered 2 of the GE/Jasco 43102 in-wall receptacles. I really like the idea of not having something hanging on the wall just to act as a repeater. Plus they are claimimg a range of approx 150 feet. We shall see how they do.

Keep in mind these are always open air specs, ideally tested using an anechoic chamber. No obstruction, reflection or absorption from nearby objects like you will have in your home.

1 Like

Agreed. I also have a great number of Xiaomi devices, but not on Hubitat.

Agree and good point. My typical changes of plug location have been to move between spots in the same room when it appears the plug is more useful in a slightly different location, as opposed to across the house. :slight_smile: That ability has been useful.

One other note, I've never had a Zigbee outlet, but the Z-Wave outlets I have (GE) rarely or never repeat for other devices even when they are in what seems like an ideal location...I think that's why I didn't consider Zigbee outlets for repeaters. I'm interested to hear if others have had success w/Zigbee outlets as repeaters.

Do you mean in-wall Zigbee outlets? I've no experience with those. I'm using three IKEA Trådfri plug-in outlets and they're fine. Have never needed that many because my house is small. The other repeaters I have are an XBee 3.0 deivce which works great for my devices in the backyard thanks to it's long range and antenna. I'm also using one of @iharyadi 's early Temp/Humidity/Pressure/Luminance sensors. I have a couple of device that really favor that as a repeater.

3 Likes

I had one of @iharyadi early ones. It was great worked well and reliably as well. It has progressed far from where it was when it first started.

1 Like

All of my Zigbee devices are outdoors the only Zigbee devices I have indoors are the XBee3 devices which have crazy range. I'm glad I finally stumbled upon a driver for them the other day which actually adds presence to them. I'm going to buy some more.
https://community.hubitat.com/t/release-generic-zigbee-drivers-with-presence-and-recovery/44893

I’m not certain those drivers are maintained anymore.

Hmm not sure if they are seem to work fine though as far as I can tell.

Yep I would think not. After looking to see if they still are. should I not use the driver? anything else that does the same thing and works with Xbee3?

I need to get me one of these for testing...thanks for the reminder.

O.K. guys it's 2022, 1 1/2 year later. I need window and door contact sensors. Who's hot in 2022. I almost purchased Aqara on a YouTube recommendation until I started searching in the forums.

Search for Xfinity XHS2-UE on eBay... They're zigbee contact sensors.

You should be able to find a pretty screaming deal on packs of 5, 10, etc.

I was skeptical when folks here started lauding these things (since they were so cheap), but I ended up getting some too, and I'm really pleased with them so far...
Paired easy, fast response time, forgiving gap tolerance, and battery life is great so far.

10 sensors for $47? Am I allowed to say Dayum! on here

Yep, that sounds about right! I had reservations about the price being so low, but these lil guys have all been great so far.

ETA -- there are some threads about them in the community here (just use the same search term) if you want to read other folks' experiences before pulling the trigger.

ETA2 -- like all battery things, these will need a healthy (existing) mesh to work within -- most folks' issues with pairing these devices, keeping them online etc all stem from having a weak zigbee mesh to begin with. Make sure your zigbee mesh is robust & healthy first, and these will work fine.

for $50, I'll get it a shot...