Recirculation Pump Schedule

Why run the recirc pump all the time? That is a waste of energy, both for the pump and the water heater.

Why not use a motion sensor, contact sensor, or push button to activate the water when you enter the bathroom? If you use a motion sensor, you could use Motion Lighting app, which would greatly simplify things.

The pump uses 7w, and all of the PEX is insulated. I have not noticed a difference in the water heater being on any more than before

I don't want to use a button, I want there just to be hot water there when I want it. The motion sensor could work, but for this location I care most about the kitchen, and where my kitchen is located I can't think of a good way to get it setup and actually working

Even 24/7 is almost no more energy, so having it from 7am to midnight will be even better. Here in Houston gas is super cheap, and the attic gets so warm in summer that there cannot be heat loss in the pipes, because the attic is already 120+

When you unplug and then plug the plug back in, are any events seen in Hubitat in the logs or on the events page for the plug device? I tested all mine and they are the auto return to the previous state. If yours does have an event on plugging in, then you could write a rule around it.

I got the new switch in today, man this is so much better. I wish I had gotten this to begin with!

Using Rule machine do I need to make two rules, one for on and one for off?

1 Like

That would be the simplest way to do it, yes. One thing to note though, if you unplug it before 7am and plug it back in after 7am, it will not turn on automatically, you would have to turn it on manually after you plug it in.

That's fine, I think that's an unlikely scenario. I could always set it to turn on after being powered off, that would solve that problem

Then you would never be able to turn the device off. That won't work.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.