Receiving UDP Packets on Hubitat

I need help to see if much like the REST 39501 if there is a way to receive UDP packets and provide a handler. My intention is to have a SNMP Trap port 162 be sent to Hubitat in order to trigger a query to the device out of polling cycle. I can change the UDP port destination number on the device. I will decode the packet on my end. Is there any samples on how to do this?

I don't believe unsolicited inbound UDP works; nothing has changed since this time as far as I know:

This for sure would work with HTTP, and in that case one option is to set the device DNI to the MAC or IP (in hex, no separators) of the device, and the driver's parse() method will catch anything sent to the hub from it on port 35901, then you can do with that data as you please. But, again, I don't think that will work with UDP.

1 Like

Ditto. Don't think it is an option right now.

1 Like

Surprisingly, despite so many requests ... still no option for this on a 'local' hub :sob:

3 Likes

If Chuck were still there I bet we'd have it. :wink:

(That was mostly a joke, I have no idea in reality)

4 Likes

@gopher.ny

Victor - I think @JasonJoel just laid down a challenge!

3 Likes

That wasn't very nice of me, was it? Lol

1 Like

Victor has been a great listener and implementer for Hubitat - he is helping me keep the faith. I know he's snowed under with more important things we all want ... but hopefully at some time...

3 Likes

I've been having great response and discussions with the whole team. Really a good group!

I don't take it personally that they are too busy, or it is too low a priority, to get to some of my personal wants. They are really busy, I get it! Doesn't stop my snarky, silly comments though. Lol

4 Likes

Here is another vote for receiving UDP packets or at least making sure it is on Hubitat's Feature Request list...

It may not happen any time soon (if ever) but it would be handy to be able to bring it in much like I can receive HTTP data. There are a number of devices out there that like to send UDP packets and I am not exactly sure how much different Hubitat would have to make things to receive them on a port similar to the HTTP.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.