Receiving Wrong Status from Centralite Pearl Thermostat

I had a problem yesterday where the Pearl thermostat wasn't sending updates. I've since added a rule to have it refresh every 2 minutes.

This morning the thermostat is now not reporting it's correct OperatingState. I'm looking at the thermostat and it's in Heat mode and the little flame icon is on, which should be OperatingState = heating. Hubitat shows it as idle no matter what I do.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Is the source code to the Generic Thermostat Driver available somewhere?

Thanks.

How robust is your zigbee mesh?

While our zigbee devices may have worked well in the same configuration with other controllers, Hubitat really relies on a strong mesh for zigbee (and z-wave) devices to work well. There's a support document describing a recommended approach to build a strong mesh:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Build_a_Solid_Zigbee_Mesh

I had this problem.. I noticed the thermostat would randomly send the update in the wrong byte order causing it to always be idle. I ended up replacing them rather than fight it..

1 Like

I was doing some reading on zigbee, then looked at my access points.

Hubitat is using channel 20, I've now changed that to 23.
My 3 WiFi Access Points were using 6, 11, and 11. I've changed them to 1, 6, 1.

Now I wait for the devices to find the new channel and see what happens.

@bcopeland What did you end up replacing it with?

Pretty sure he has Honeywell T6 z-wave+ thermostats.

1 Like

:point_up_2: Yup

1 Like

I don't have anything z-wave (yet). I know it's a lower frequency that can travel further through walls and such. Is it more reliable than zigbee?

1 Like

No. However, I think @bcopeland's experience indicates the Honeywell T6 zwave+ thermostat is more reliable than the Centralite Pearl.

Personally, I think the consistent communication failure you've experienced is more indicative of mesh issues rather than a sporadic malformed data packet that leads to a false "idle".

Ok, I should have looked at the zigbee logs before I messed with things, but after moving my WiFi APs to different channels and changing the zigbee channel and re-pairing my Xiaomi Temperature sensors I have one Keen vent with an RSSI of -85, one that's -72, several at -71 and the rest of my zigbee devices are below that.

I'll report back later about the OperatingState updating. Don't want to turn the heat on right now.