Ready to give up on physical switches

Well, I'm not sure what to say here, I understand these devices aren't inexpensive.

However even so, If I had any devices in my system such as these, I would look at replacing them, or relocating them to areas where they aren't likely to be used physically, then replacing the high use areas with something that is capable of reporting correctly.

Most of my production system is composed of aeon micros which are covered by Lutron Picos, however I have several of the ZWP (aka homseer) switches and dimmers deployed in areas where I'm not so concerned with matching the current home aesthetic.
These guys are like $40 a shot, and the driver that Hubitat has implemented for them exposes button controller functionality.

2 Likes

This is always the challenge for any home automation platform, and is exactly the reason why most of them limit the devices that they provide drivers for.

There is a lot of manufacturer choice in terms of which features to support, and a lot of customer education required to explain the difference that those choices will make when the device is deployed in the home.

I know it's probably a ways off, but it's one of the main reasons that I like to see the more open platforms offer a real wiki with a feature table for compatible devices and then individual customers can add new devices as they get them working.

I like Vera's, but there are other good ones as well.

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Supported_Hardware

We were never really able to get one going for SmartThings just because not enough people contributed to it (and I can't do tables). But I do think it's helpful to a community if you can get one going. :sunglasses:

Securifi's has less information than Vera's, but I do like their "verified by the platform company" column.

https://wiki.securifi.com/index.php/List_of_compatible_sensors_-_Almond%2B_2014

Compare the wiki style with what homeseer uses, which is just a list of devices, and I think you can see why the wiki style is much more useful when it comes to selecting a new device.

Some people care a lot about whether the LED on the light switches blue or green, for example. Others don't, but it's nice to have the information all in one place.

And as long as it's a real wiki, then anyone can add to it which helps it stay uptodate.

JMO

3 Likes

Just reading about these dimmers on Amazon. One person says "you cannot simply tap up to turn n full but have to hold the button until it dims up (or down)". Not sure I completely understand this statement, but my current dimmer will ramp up to the last dim setting when I tap on, and ramp down to off when I tap off. Does the ZWP dimmer work that way too?

tapping on at the device sets the dimmer to the last level the dimmer was at when turned off, this is the normal way that zwave and zigbee dimmers work.
In other words, it just turns it on.
From there, holding the top or bottom buttons changes the level as you would expect.

1 Like

BTW, if this something you actually want to do, it's super simple with our driver. Since we expose it as a two button controller, you could use our button controller app to capture the pushed event for button one to set the level to whatever you want...

2 Likes

Can someone explain to me why refresh doesn’t work on my Leviton DZ6HD?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.