Read timeout errors across multiple apps?

I'm getting read timeout errors from multiple apps, suggesting a problem exists that is not app-specific. Any suggestions on how to figure out the problem and address it? My hub is C5.

You've been around this community for 2 years and that causes me to assume you know the simple solutions, such as power cycle, soft reset, and so on. Can you post a screen cap of the error, please?

1 Like

Sure, here ya go:
Rachio

WeatherFlow

Sharptools

What version of the weatherflow lite driver are you using?

This is the Weatherflow Cloud driver - v0.4.6

Ahh, I'm using weatherflow lite... (And mistakenly thought everyone who has weatherflow was using weatherflow lite)

I am actually using both, since the weatherflow lite gives quick notifications for rain, but the weatherflow cloud has more data.

1 Like

I actually wasn't aware of @snell's version. Now I'll have to take a look at it

The error is a Request Timeout... meaning the driver could not connect to the API in time. Any network issues happening?

As for the driver itself... I released it JUST a bit before WeatherFlow Lite came out... and it only supports the API because at the time I did not know of/know how to deal with a WebSocket. Now that there is a separate driver that handles it well, I do not want to infringe on @augoisms's very useful driver by building WebSocket support into mine.

Funny enough, I did not even HAVE a Tempest when I wrote the driver initially. Someone else wondered if support could be added, so I made it. It was not until much later when WeatherFlow made some changes to their API that I talked with them about getting access to a Tempest for development purposes that I actually obtained one.

1 Like

No, none impacting anything else. Maybe I have bogged down my HE hub too much and it can't handle everything? Not really sure how to check that these days...

If you pull up the Logs section there are tabs for Device Stats and App Stats. Those might give you some insights if something seems to be pounding on the hub.

Also, for my driver at least, is it repeatedly showing that error in the logs, matching the Refresh Rate you have the device set for? Or is it only a "once in a while, but mostly it is still working" type of thing that might indicate problems elsewhere...

Yeah, I saw that, but it's not clear to me what numbers are ok and what numbers are too high. I mean, Ecobee eats up a lot of processing time and state, but I've had that for 2 years without issue.

Only once in a while, but mostly still working.

Yeah, I really cannot answer "how much is too much" for those myself. Maybe someone smarter will chime in.

As for the driver... I just checked over the logs of one of my hubs using it and I see a similar error (not at the same time though) that has happened a few times today, and once yesterday (although that coincides with a network failure on my ISP's side). Unfortunately I cannot find anything on WeatherFlow's site that seems to indicate whether they had any network/API issues.

1 Like

Since you're seeing the same error with Weatherflow, maybe @josh could help with the Sharptools error. If there's any issue there, it might just be a collection of unrelated errors that don't really have a common cause. :thinking: I have a lot of custom stuff, so who knows what it could be....

As you guys alluded to I've found it's not always a network issue (though it sometimes is). Sometimes when my test hub gets under heavy load, I start seeing 'Read Timed Out' errors in apps even though the network connection is otherwise solid. Rebooting the hub usually cleans things up for me.

I just pulled server logs and I'm not seeing any indications of issues around those timestamps.

1 Like

Unfortunately, rebooting hasn't solved the issue. Just got the same errors again. Not really sure how to tell whether it's a hub load issue or not :weary:

Is there any way to increase the timeout on calls? Or is that a bad idea?