Read if you are moving kwikset 910 or similar z-wave locks OUT of a Vivint system into any other controller

So I've been fighting with locks and reading old threads for hours. Hoping someone has some updated information or suggestions for me. Long story short I'm switching from a Vivint home security system to a combination of most devices on the Hubitat, plus a Qolsys 2+ panel with alarm.com monitoring (so I can integrate it into hubitat with the ADC driver). The new panel went in today and successfully took over all my vivint 2GIG motion and contact sensors. I have 5 X Kwikset 910 Z-wave door locks that I've been using for years with vivint without any major connectivity issues, and a z-wave mesh that was solely the panel + the locks. Unfortunately the Qolsys will pair with, but refuses to control the kwikset's (yes, they were excluded first), as they will only pair unsecured, and it doesn't like that. Claims they have failed S2 security (which of course they don't support). If by chance anyone knows a work around to get them into the panel, I'm also happy to hear about that as a solution. I have my installer code.

So, I'm trying to get my locks into HE instead (C7). I've only tried 3 locks so far. On 2, I went through the entire hard reset process for the locks (plus multiple exclusions), and on 1 I have not hard reset (as it wipes the access codes and my family still needs to get in the house till I figure this out). All three actually pair very quickly and easy in place, without moving the hub, and yes they pair as secure. I tried moving one next to the hub once, but the pairing result was the same either way.

None of them provide any data to HE, and they do not respond to lock/unlock commands.
The red "communicating" light reliably turns on for each lock every-time a command or query is sent, so it appears the signal is getting through, even though nothing happens.
They each have one or more Inovelli Z-wave switches very close to them, and have multiple neighbours in the topology map, and a command routing that either comes directly through the hub, or via a nearby switch. I have done several exclusions and inclusions, and a handful of z-wave repairs, and I'm getting the same thing everytime- a connection that looks fine, but does nothing. Tried waiting a couple hours for the mesh to "settle" as well.

From what I've read, the only other option (besides replacement), seems to be putting z-wave repeaters next to them. With 5 locks, that's a big investment for something that might work better. And I have a hard time believing it would. They are on a mesh that should be much more robust than the previous panel- is the HE z-wave radio that bad compared to a 6 year old vivint panel of all things? And given that I can see the connection light coming on with every attempted signal, does that not mean it should be getting through? Could a weak signal still trigger that light, but not be clear enough for data transmission? Even at the same distance that achieved "successful" secure pairing?

Happy to hear if I've overlooked something here, or if anyone knows the latest chant and voodo dance to get these things working. Not looking forward to manually locking 5 doors again every night... Also, what is the significance of the line "S2 128" on my device info? Specs on this lock says they do not support any security protocol, much less S2. They display as communicating on S0 in my Z-wave info (despite that also being listed as unsupported in the documentation). Is this another case of hubitat forcing an unsecure device to pair with S0 instead of unsecured when it isn't supported? Like the fibaro sensors in my last post- could I fix them with unsecure pairing through a z-wave stick? (which I should get around to ordering)

1 Like

Holy hell I figured it out. What a rabbit hole, and of course it is all about how terrible Vivint is. In pursuing connecting to the Qolsys panel pairing further, I discovered my locks had been configured in the Vivint system with "anti-theft" enabled (by default of course), which is Vivint speak for "make-a-brick-if-you-change-providers." Properly removing the device from the Vivint panel, WITH the Vivint panel seems to be the only way to keep devices functional on future radios (they will seem to have paired correctly, but won't work properly).

So this is in the context of having 5 door locks that were NOT properly removed from the Vivint, but simply "excluded" by their new radio before pairing (by the new security tech who just told me "they're too old", which in theory should work, except when Vivint is involved. If you remove them properly from Vivint first, you may not have to take all the steps I did. I recommend "disabling theft protection" first, and THEN removing the node (several times), then trying to pair with the new controller. Here is what I did. Multiple trials with slight variations from these steps all failed, so I'm uncertain which are the most essential, but have my suspicions. Requires being in the installer menu- Z-wave devices. Code is 2203 but you may need to have Vivint unlock the panel for it to work.

1- Re-pair the device back into Vivint (failed several times, but keep removing and adding)
2- Name the device (I suggest "Vivint sucks")
3- When prompted select ENABLE theft protection (if not prompted, find the option and enable it).
4- Test the device, verify it's working (probably not needed, but it worked once, so I kept doing it).
5- Manually disable anti-theft protection (don't skip this!)
6- Enter "remove multiple devices" and exclude the lock from Vivint 5 times (for luck...)
7- Do NOT exclude the device on the new controller before pairing (I don't know why, but it always failed if I did. If you have different results, give it a try).
8- Pair in the new hub.

This same process worked to get the locks into both HE and Qolsys. Interestingly it did not matter if the lock had been factory reset or not. Factory resetting didn't help either without doing the Vivint exclude. I suspect the key actions are 1- make sure it is joined with anti-theft (if it ever had it before), then 2- Disable anti-theft to fix whatever mojo Vivint did to the hardware, then 3- Exclude with the Vivint panel.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future banging their head on a wall.

1 Like

@DocNaes - You sir need an award! Thanks so much.
I moved to a home with several Kwikset 910 deadbolts and the previous owner used Vivint. When I tried to pair these locks with Ring Security Z-Wave hub, got errors. I reached out to Ring and they said the logs show that anti-theft feature is enabled and need to ask Kwikset. Then I reached out to Kwikset and they said that it's something that Vivint does on top of their firmware and cannot be removed with factory reset. I reached out to Vivint and they said that I do need to use a Vivint panel to remove it and sign up as a new customer as the previous owners took the panel with them. I found this article and thought to give the last shot before replacing all the locks.
I found a used Vivint Panel on the Facebook marketplace for $40.
Did a factory reset by pressing the button behind the panel for 60 seconds (codes become 1111 and 2203)
Paired the locks and followed all the steps that @DocNaes mentioned and was able to get them all working with Ring Security.

2 Likes