[Re-release] Hubitat Ring Integration (Unofficial)

Once you install the PM, here is a quick video on how to get to the Ring choices:
https://recordit.co/nFnjPOshFZ

It's very important you choose wisely based on what you actually have from Ring which is outlined in the original post. So consult that to make sure you pick all the right devices to install.

We can also help you here if you can post exactly what you have for Ring Product and what you have attached to your Ring Alarm.

3 Likes

For example I have the following devices and therefore have these installed;

1. Two Ring Spotlight Cams
  2. One Ring Floodlight Cam
  3. One Ring Video Doorbell 2
  4. One Ring Chime
  5. Ring Alarm with;
  • a. Keypad
  • b. 2 door contact sensors
  • c. 2 CO/Smoke listeneers
  • d. 2 motion sensors

3 Likes

Thank you everyone for making this idiot proof for me. Much appreciated. :slight_smile:

I have copied and pasted the code into HE and saved it. No issues. See image.

I will now review the different ways to setup Ring per SoundersDude's comments. I currently have a Ring Pro Doorbell, 5 cameras (spotlight, outdoor and indoor), 19 window and door sensors, four motion detectors, 4 flood/freeze sensors, and two keypads. I also have a Kwikset Z-Wave door lock integrated into the Ring app (not sure if that matters).

Again, really appreciate the help. Support here is awesome!

2 Likes

Continuing the setup. I have installed HE, then went through and installed the ardichoke package, and then selected the Ring device drivers for my devices and completed that step. I can now see device drivers installed and a new listing under Apps Code. Are there instructions that can take me to the finish line? I think the next step may be to authenticate with my Ring credentials, but I'm not sure where to go for that. I also clicked the OAuth button on the HPM apps code screen. Not sure if I should have done that or not!

Never mind on the above. Found the new ring app once I clicked on adding a new app. I'll dig around. Thanks!

2 Likes

Im confused by how the webhook from ifttt work. It seems to only trigger an event on motion. How does the device ever switch back to inactive if an inactive event is never sent back?

I’m further having issues with my floodlight cam. It shows up but I’m failing to see where the motion attribute is stored? The device is found in my rules as a motion sensor but it shows up as both active and inactive in the rule.

Anyone else having this issue?

Odd. So the device finally started updating. So it’s working now. I’m not sure what the problem was.

The app does it after a timeout.

I don’t understand what this means. An attribute can only have one value. It can’t Be both active and inactive at the same time. Can you provide a screenshot?

I don’t understand what this means. An attribute can only have one value. It can’t Be both active and inactive at the same time. Can you provide a screenshot?

I can’t anymore. It started updating. I had a rule that had 2 conditions 1 for active and one for inactive. Both showed as false. Now they are showing correct.

It confused me also, because a device having 2 states isn’t possible.

If they both showed as false it sounds like at that point the motion had never triggered so it had “no” state

If this is integrated using IFTTT, what kind of delays are there? I have an Alexa routine that is triggered by a Ring motion sensor to turn on a light and the response time is unsatisfactory. Since IFTTT is cloud-based I imagine it will be at least as long, or longer?

One other question. The Ring alarm ignores motion from a motion sensor for several minutes after it has been activated. So Alexa will not see any additional motion events during that period. Is that also the case for this HE integration? Or can you have to motion triggers from the same sensor in rapid succession? If so, what is the "refresh" rate?

Finally, are there any compatibility issues with the new 2nd generation Ring alarm? Or does everything work the same?

I had the same thing and it looks like IFTTT is slightly faster than the Alexa routine.
However, if you are going to use IFTTT then there is no way to send an event when motion stops so you need to wait for the app to time out the motion event. I am not sure if that can be adjusted.

I believe that would be a setting in the firmware of the Device itself and I don't see any way to change that in the driver that is supplied.

I have a 2nd Gen and it seems to work fine. I had one issue which I was out here to actually post about where a contact sensors battery died and when I armed the ring alarm it had to bypass the contact. However, the virtual device itself didn't update to "home" even though the alarm itself was armed. Everything else still worked.
As soon as I replaced the battery everything worked again.

So my ring motion alert turns on a light. and my ring doorbell press triggers a different set of lights depending on TOM. As im walking up to the door the light usually comes on by the time i reach it. so im in the field of view of the camera only for a few steps at thaat point. so the delay with iffft seems really short.

I should also point out that it's the Ring Cameras (Doorbell, floodlight, spotlight) that require IFTT (or you could manually setup an Alexa routine or use other Ring integrations that use the Alexa routine).

For anything connected to Ring Alarm outside of the cameras e.g. motion sensors - those speak to the HE through this integration locally, so it's pretty darn fast. I use my Ring connected motion sensor in my house to turn on the lights before I walk down into the basement. I think the Ring Alarm does buffer a second or two even in their own app, so if you are looking for sub-second I'd recommend using a motion sensor directly paired to HE instead or perhaps even directly pairing the Ring sensor to HE. For me though this works great.

Same experience here. My lights are on by the time someone gets to my door.

Has anyone else had this issue?

A contact sensors battery died and when I armed the ring alarm it had to bypass the contact. However, the virtual device itself didn't update to "home" even though the alarm itself was armed. Everything else still worked.
As soon as I replaced the battery everything worked again.

Sorry if it is obvious (I'm still very new to HE) but what do you mean about needing to wait for the app to time out? Is that a variable I can set, so say after 120 seconds if there is no motion then turn off lights?

I don't think it is firmware. On the Ring forum there is a long thread of people complaining about this waiting period where the motion sensor is essentially blind. Ring eventually shortened the delay, I believe it went from about 5 minutes to about 3 minutes. I have a hard time believing Ring updated the firmware for every motion sensor, I'm not even sure they have a way to do that.

So if the Ring's motion sensors don't rely on IFTTT, is there a way to trigger an event when motion stops? Previous post suggested this isn't possible because of the need for IFTTT. Now I'm confused.

Ring does have a way to update the firmware on all of their devices. In fact, mine updated as soon as I registered them to the ring hub.

You would have to set up polling on the ring hub to get the information from the api. Polling a vendors device still means there is a delay. This app does offer an option to poll the ring hub, but I’ve never used it so I don’t know if the interval is configurable.

Edit: it is configurable

I would also like to point out that the ring motion sensors when connected directly to HE do not need IFTTT because they will trigger off of motion through HE not the ring hub. Only sensors built into the cameras for ring or sensor connected to the Ring Hub require IFTTT.