[Re-release] Hubitat Ring Integration (Unofficial)

Thanks for sharing. I'm still awaiting the verdict as to if RadioRA3 will be supported by Hubitat, though assuming somehow that will get worked out.

RA3 already supports motion from Ring doorbells, but not motion from security motion sensors or if the system goes into an alarm state. It sounds like this unofficial (also unpredictable) integration currently works well in those respects.

Thank you!

1 Like

Will shoot you a DM. For reference what @dunckerp did (from my understanding per the response above) was remove their items from the actual ring app, and re-added them one-by-one and they were picked up by this integration. There seems to be something odd when connecting a bunch at the same time.

It's much quicker than I would have guessed. I have Alexa announce when any of my doors are unlocked or opened and also when windows are opened or closed. It's really quick. I would say generally under two seconds. And that includes the amount of time it takes for the voice prompt to go through Amazon's cloud and back to my home.

2 Likes

I'm noticing a bunch of errors this morning in my logs, which may have been there for some time and i just saw them.

Callouts to 'Ring Virtual CO alarm' and 'Ring Virtual Smoke Alarm' and 'Ring Virtual Panic Button' drivers

I'm seeing calls to drivers that are different than what is listed here.

'Ring Virtual Alarm Smoke & CO Listener', i don't see a panic button driver.

I browsed through the instructions, reinstalled and installed the app again through HPM. Am i missing something that needs to be updated? Has something changed?

EDIT: After going back in history a bit, I did go to the github and installed the missing drivers. Waiting to see if that clears things up. But also noticed devices were not found.

I stopped getting the error after removing my devices from the ring app, then adding them back in one at a time. I removed all of the ones that were showing errors first, then added one at a time. When adding them back, initially it would give the couldn't find device error, then within a minute or two they added correctly after using "createdevices"

1 Like

yea, after i updated the drivers the devices showed up again in about 10 minutes. I'll close that ticket in my Queue....

Onto my next ring/inovelli notification attempt. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. I have done the same. Removed everything failing and trying to re-add one at a time. However even in re-adding, the fail. I had to reload a range extender twice before it would add. That was with at least and hour of waiting. I wanted the range extender first naturally. Then went to a contact sensor and it continues to fail. Stopped trying the remove/add as I am trying to work with @SoundersDude and his updated code to see if we can improve the code.

Any comments on my questions above? Which hub and do you still get the null error.

Cheers

1 Like

I'm on vacation right now. I will work on fixing the errors you're getting in the beta on Monday.

The first two errors you're having should be easy fixes. The last one with the warnings, I'm not sure about, but I will take a look at it.

3 Likes

@ bfara83 Those first two errors are fixed now in the beta.

As for the last error you were getting, I was able to reproduce it by enabling snapshots on a camera that's offline. Is your camera going offline periodically?

1 Like

If you originally installed with HPM, you can go back into HPM and 'Modify' the package to install the rest of the drivers you need. I will expand that error message so that it says to use HPM to install any needed optional drivers.

1 Like

Oddly. When I'm waiting for a package that should arrive "any moment" (and it's usually any "hour" before they really make it!)...I'll have Alexa or my phone displaying my outside camera. After a while, it times out.

If I try to go right back to it, it throws an error.

I have to leave it off for a bit--no clue why--then go back to it later. And, then, it will display video again.

But--long way of saying--I suspect the cameras DO have "their moments" (of being comatose).

I usually don't see any issues with the snapshots when I see the warn messages. So far I haven't seen the warn messages at all today so it's not something that always shows. The update did fix the other 2 errors I brought up but I keep seeing this in the logs now as log.warn messages for the Ring API Virtual Device driver since the last update you just did today:

I just pushed an update to remove that log message.

I would appreciate it if you could PM me some of the messages for the Ring beams devices. I don't have any of those devices and having some example messages will help me out a lot. The output from uncommenting line 497 of the beta version of ring-api-virtual-device.groovy would be perfect. If you're not comfortable with that, I can publish some code in a branch on github.

I can do that for sure tomorrow and PM you the logs.

1 Like

I have beam solar lights as well, if you need anything.
I'm not currently on the beta, but happy to move over.

Notes for fellow friends working on this integration. I was one of you having trouble getting the system to create all my devices. I have a workflow that so far has worked 100% of the time.

First:

• Running this on a C5 hub
  • Currently patched to the lasted HE version
  • Installed Unofficial Ring via HPM and simply included all drivers
  • Using one of the new Ring Pro hubs

The State:
I initially happily went around adding a bunch of items in the Ring App. Contact Sensors, several Range Extenders, the Keypad and a motion sensor.

I got the Keypad, the Motion, 1 Range Extender and 5 Contact Sensors to be created in HE. Nothing else would get created. Logs were full of the: Cannot get property 'name' on null object on line 748 (method parse) error and [warn](http://192.168.4.50/device/edit/999)Couldn't find device errors.

I removed all the failing devices from the Ring App.

Fixes/Testing:
Finally after a lot playing and focusing on the 'null name' error I tried renaming a device in the Ring App and it worked.

The Workflow:
Once all bad devices are removed, start to add them back 1 at a time in the Ring App. Give them a temporary name and complete the add process in the Ring App.

Then in HE, press A) Initialize and B) Create Devices in the API Device AND then C) Create Devices in the Hub Device. This would log the 'null name' error in the API device log. Then quickly rename the device in the Ring App, and it would get created in HE!

I have now added back the range extender and 9-10 contact sensors using this workflow and they have joined 100% of the time the first time through the workflow, each.

It is slow, but it works.

Hope this helps someone. Cheers!

3 Likes

I keep getting a warning about severe hub load. When I open up the app it says websocket failure?

The websocket will time out from ring, for me it's every 4 hours. The app should be reconnecting though, so your logs should look like this;

If not, you might need to re-auth, or force a reconnect in the Ring API device.

I just started looking at integrating my Ring devices and noticed that now, even without this app, I can go to Devices, Add Devices, and select many Ring sensors.

Based on activity in this thread, it seems like there is still need for this App. So I'm really sorry for such a naive question, but I haven't found the answer -

What is the benefit of the App vs. adding directly as a zwave through the add devices menu?

Also, if I add devices directly or with the app, does it impact how my Ring app sees them in any way?

Thanks,

ONLY with the app--can you control the ring alarm status, have the devices (door sensors, etc.) report to Ring and used to trigger alarms, etc.

To make all those things work right, they need to be on the Ring system--so it can call the cops, fire dept, etc.

This app then lets you leverage them to do automations (turn on the lights, etc.) in Hubitat.

-- Hit a button: turn off the lights, lock the doors, arm the alarm "home"

-- Open an outside door: Recognize the code, turn on the inside lights, disarm Ring if the code is valid

-- Fire alarm goes off: Unlock the outside doors, turn on all the lights, (and have Ring calling the fire department)

1 Like