[RE-RELEASE] EcoWitt and Wittboy Weather Stations And Sensors (Local)

Looks like I also had a similar disruption...

Well @sburke781 , this is just working great for me. For those of you wasn't sure or want to know this works perfect with the console...No separate Gateway required. I purchased the HP2553 kit from Amazon and everything linked up nicely.

Could someone tell me what this is for in the driver? And, maybe related, can someone chime in on how to populate the HE Weather tile? I can only choose one sensor from the dashboard tile and it doesn't have all the info. I was kinda thinking that selection below had something to do with it.

1 Like

Glad to hear you have had a good experience.

If I was in front of my laptop I would give you a better answer, but am hoping you can figure this one out.... If you open the templates.md from my EcoWitt repo, hopefully you will work out the template id's to plug into the device preferences, e.g. 13 or 13B for soil sensors. Once you enter these you should eventually start to see a html attribute become available.

1 Like

I believe that combines the wind and rain, indoor and outdoor temps (wh32) so they all report under a single weather station device.

Happy to report thus device pairs and works well in hubitat and the on/off does control the usb as well as the outlet.

https://www.moeshouse.com/products/us-zigbee3-0-dual-usb-wireless-socket-plug-smartthings-app-remote-control-echo-plus-voice-control-work-with-alexa-google-home?_pos=71&_sid=ea7d8008b&_ss=rlet.

I have recently received the new EcoWitt 7-1 sensor (WS90 or Wittboy) and have not been able to access many of the attributes (most notably rain information from outdoor device). Note: I am seeing a lot of other information exposed correctly (e.g., wind, temp, humidity, etc.,) with current driver.
Any suggestions on how rain data might be pulled (or why all null) -- or a driver update to support these attributes? Thanks...

I'm not sure when I will get back to my PC to give you a clearer set of instructions on this, but I think what we need to do is get the data being sent to HE. There may be a logging setting that could give you that output. Temporarily setting the IP / MAC address will do it, but only do that if you are happy to forgo some missed readings.

1 Like

Thank you for the "very" quick reply. I am not clear on what "Temporarily setting the IP/MAC" would do nor am I clear on the "logging settings". I will do some more search -- I know this Ecowitt 7-1 sensor is very new so I figured I was taking a chance. Again, thanks for the feedback.

No worries, but also sorry for not explaining that very well :slightly_smiling_face:

The EcoWitt driver uses a feature of HE where if the HE hub receives http message on a specific port, it looks at the address where the http data came from and tries to find a device that has an id that matches. When you configure the sending of the data via the WS View app you include the port that is used by HE. In the configuration of the gateway device on HE you provide the IP or MAC address. The driver uses this to set the Device Network Id of the HE device, location on the device edit page above the driver selection.

If HE cannot find a device that matches the source address, it puts an entry in the log to say it did not find a device and I'm pretty sure it includes the data as well.

Changing the device network id on it's own would actually be enough, just make sure you take a copy of the value before changing it. Just add or remove a character or two, you just need it to be different. Then keep an eye on the logs, accessible from the left hand menu on the HE hub web admin pages.

All that said, I'm pretty sure there is a debug logging option that should give you the same output in the logs, I just can't test that atm

1 Like

try setting the option to bundle senseors.. if that does not work i will try to dummy something up to test assuming it is returning ws90 as the id.. but it looks like the bundle option does the same thing.

1 Like

Changed device ID and the logs still showing unrecognized attributes (note rain piezo sensors). Regarding the port assignment, would that be an all or nothing (i.e., single port for all sensors)? I used the default provided. Another inconsistency noted is in the debug info for battery (WH90 vs WS90) -- not sure a WH90 even exists from my research (WS90 is the new sensor). Also per kahn-hubitat, the compound/combined sensor option is enabled. Note values shown below (they look valid), just not exposed anywhere to process.

Thanks for the info, looks like we didn't need to change the device network id after all. You can change that back to it's original value.

The port is system-wide, I e. chosen by HE developers to be used by any device wanting to communicate with the HE hub, not just EcoWitt. But let's not get distracted by that, it won't be impacting your issue.

The important part we now know are the names of the unrecognized readings that appeared in the log. We will need to check what the driver is looking for and whether they should be picked up or are different for some reason on your new model.

1 Like

Sounds good, thanks again for your help. Just FYI, the WS90 so far is pretty impressive for single/small inexpensive array, as the readings are very close to other calibrated sensors nearby. Wind/Rain measurements are especially impressive for the haptic/ultrasonic sensors.

1 Like

I never used the old drivers, and just installed the re-released versions via HPM. I followed the directions posted way above, just skipping steps that applied to updating the drivers. It was easy to install the driver and create a virtual device.

After pasting in the GW1000 MAC address I am still waiting on "sensor sync pending." (I tried the IP address too, didn't help.)

What am I overlooking?

EDIT: I figured it out. I had not set the data sharing protocol in the gateway. I had assumed the driver was using another mechanism, which it is not.

But, unfortunately, I am already using that feature to export the data to another device. The gateway can only share data with one device this way. So, for now I have to choose to put the data into Hubitat or into Android Personal Weather Tablet.

Since the gateway will provide JSON on request with the current firmware, hopefully the Ecowitt driver can be updated to pull data from the gateway instead, which would allow us to have more than one connection.

1 Like

try these two device drivers the first is the
gateway driver

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/lgkahn/hubitat/master/ecowittest.groovy

the second is the sensor driver

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/lgkahn/hubitat/master/ecowittsensor.groovy

i made changes it both specific to the ws90 and the new attributes..
noteably missing is totalrain.. should be train_piezo based on your nomenclature not
sure why we are not seeing it.

as for dateutc and runtime not sure what those are and there is nothing like it in currently devices so you may still see errors for those.

also i need to change the battery i assumed it would be ws90batt .. seems like an error showing wh90

i left both ws90batt and wh90batt.. as i beilieve it may be a bug and they may fix it in a future firmware..

3 Likes

I'm pretty sure I see the UTC and runtime show up when I turn on debug logging.

Thanks for helping with this @kahn-hubitat

1 Like

the most likely are the time the data is coming in or something.. probably never used so probably alwayts see an error like that when debugging is on...

3 Likes

Thanks, i see rain gauge -- you guys rock/

2 Likes

thanks again for your help, never thought i would have this resolved in 24 hours. you guys rock.

4 Likes

@sburke781 friendly reminder on the github pull request for adding the Leaf Wetness Sensor. I've had it running with no issues for a few weeks now and it has worked great. Just put out a beta for a new app that uses the sensor, so would be good to have official support for it in this integration. Let me know if you'd like any further info or testing on it though.

1 Like