Raspberry pi project

This is the wrong forum but I don't know where else to look tbh.

I'm looking to make a raspberry pi aquarium temperature monitor so I can link it to home assistant and then bridge it to hubitat. I know that's the long way around but that's the only way I can think of doing it.

Has anyone on here done this before or something similar so they can point me in the right direction? I'm using home assistant purely so I can make graphs and keep track. I have tried in hubitat but in all honesty it's confusing and I get frustrated lol

Any help will be great thank you

This is using Hubigraphs.
The reason it is not graphing the full 7 days is because I deleted the file holding the data.
It is gradually filling up and will record the full 7 days.
Is this what you are after?

1 Like

Yeah partly. Can you send instructions if possible.

But I also want to make a temperature monitor with a probe that goes in a fish tank. So the graph part is complete now.

I did try using the hubigraphs but can't gety head around it

I use Influxdb (with date fed from HE via the InfluxDB Logger User App) and Grafana for dashboards. This is all running on my Raspberry PI and storing data on a NAS. I'm not sure if this is helpful for your situation but here's my dashboard in case. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would argue it is the right forum, in that you are / have grappled with the decision of whether you can achieve the monitoring outcome you are after. This can be a lengthy and complicated discussion to have, which has been discussed at length (I feel) on various threads here over time....

The two competing concepts I would throw into the conversation would be "using what you have available" vs "choose the right solution". I know this second one sounds a little "high and mighty", so let me explain.... It makes sense to choose what you have available to solve the problems you are faced with, if you have a rpi available and want to run some software that gives you what you need, why not.... The curveball I would throw in there would be, is charting / monitoring the right solution....

This is where my interpretation of where Hubitat is at comes together with my view on the solution you may consider.... Is the ability to see the current / recent state of your temperature readings what you need, or are rules to deal with those automatically for you what you need? The answer to that question can be both a personal preference as well as driven by personal circumstance, and probably other factors...

I guess the point I am trying to make is be wary of applying a solution where it is convenient, there may be other options...

All that said, as someone who also has 4 rpi's... forget logic, whatever you can make your rpi do, go for it :slight_smile:

Simon

2 Likes

I'm using a Qubino Thermostat Module with external probe.

Install Hubigraphs through HPM.
Open it up and go into Hubigraph Long Term Storage. (LTS).
In Select Device/Data, select your temperature sensor.
Select Temperature from the drop down for the device.
Here is my selection for the device.

Summary

Save your way out to the main menu.

In Hubigraphs main menu now select Create New Time Graph.
In service data select your temperature sensor.
Select the Temperature for the attributes to graph.
Here are screenshots of my graph configuration. Be sure to select Long Term Storage to read data from the LTS file.

Summary

Summary

Summary

Summary

Summary

Summary

Summary

Summary

Summary

Select Install a Hubigraph Tile Device.
You can then select the device for a dashboard tile.

Summary

Hope this all helps.

2 Likes

If you want a simple, low cost, quick solution to building a aquarium temperature probe, I would probably not use a Raspberry Pi. Instead, you can use a much lower cost ESP8266 microcontroller + a waterproof DS19B20 temperature probe. Once you have these wired up, you then have to decide whether you want to directly integrate with Hubitat or Home Assistant. If Hubitat, then you can use HubDuino to easily configure the ESP8266 and integrate it with your HE hub. If Home Assistant, then use ESPHome to very easily integrate with your HA hub. Both solutions can use the exact same hardware, so it is a very flexible solution.

In either case, there are HE to HA , as well as HA to HE integrations available to move the data between the two systems if necessary.

2 Likes

Totally agree with @sburke781 here. The reason for me going with the solution that I did is because I wanted historical logging of data - which is something I should have mentioned in my post! :thinking: :thinking:

1 Like

@bobbles

Thank you for the great tutorial! Been messing with Hubigraphs wanting to graph the power used by several devices but couldn’t get there.

Again, thank you!

1 Like

do you know how to add it to a a dashboard? or the tile that it would be classed as?

When I define a graph I turn on the 'Install Hubigraph Tile Device' button.
I then associate that device with the dashboard I want it on.
In the dashboard select the device. Attribute and I use Graph_No_Title.

ah found it. just having a fiddle so i can make the "Final" graph. ill proberlly move everything over from homeassistant. thank you for the instructions

1 Like

ok so i got it all working kinda, so you have to wait for the data to accumulate or have i missed something. i got the graph but no data

found out why it wasn't getting no data.... i had the data coming through HA. disconnected the devices from HA and connected them back to HE and straight away they started to work lol