Raspberry Pi Docker help needed

I have a pi that I am going to repurpose for use with Echo Speaks as a local server. I don't want to have it completely tied up for such. I assume Docker would be the way to go. I don't have a very clear grasp of it or how to use it though. Anyone willing to help, answer dumb questions, or just give me general direction?

You do not need docker for echo speaks. You just install nodejs, then clone the echo speaks repo (or install with npm using the github url). Then you need something like pm2 to get it run at startup as a service.

IMO docker just adds more complexity to it, I have NR, Echo-Speaks, Influx, Grafana, Homebridge and others all running on a VM with no docker.

5 Likes

Ah ok, simpler is also better!

It's been a while since I have messed with a pi. When I did it was all tutorial based anyway. I can diagnose the hell out of CAN systems (automotive) and do this stuff to stretch my mind but don't have the time to dedicate to full on mastering it to a level of being self sufficient.

Forgive my inexperience but just checking as to whether this works on the 64bit version of Raspberry OS? I understand that there were some limitations with the 64bit beta version compared to the 32bit one and do not know if these issues/limitations were addressed. (IIRC, some issues may have had something to do with auto reboot but as a RPi noob, I am not in the least knowledgeable about this, thus my noob question). Thanks for your help in indulging a noob.

I am running DietPi on a VM which is a lite version of Debian designed for RPi but also has VM images you can download. I am running a x64 build, have not had any issues with DietPi anyway.

Linux DietPi-N42C 5.10.0-17-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.136-1 (2022-08-13) x86_64 GNU/Linux

1 Like

At the risk of tooting my own horn,
if all you are after is a local tts speaker, then why use Amazon Alexa?
May I recommend, a totally local, very inexpensive approach?

1 Like

Well for us it's strictly because we started out with that system very early on and to change would be frankly a waste of money.

All issues with 64 bit PI are now solved. I use it to provide NVR capabilities for my FOSCAM cameras. It works flawlessly, and now has full headless capability. The only catch with docker is it doesn't install directly from the repository, you have to run the helper scripts as described on the docker / debian / pi page.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!

Hi Trying to use the nodejs echo speak solution on raspberry pi zero
I got the pi OS installed on 32GB with headless and ssh and node js installed but when I did the following it died

I unplugged power and repowered and the pi is constantly blinking but it is no longer on the network... Any suggestions ?

I power cycled again with no luck...then I connected an HMDI monitor and the Pi booted and I could ssh (not sure why but was able to complete all the steps for installing
Now to figure out the next steps...

my guess is the docker code is not the right cpu for your pi.. i am not sure but is in risc, intel, etc.

Just going by the screenshot, but I don’t think @tim.ocallag is using the docker install of echo speaks.

2 Likes

thx for feedback....I'm going the node-js route

1 Like

how do I open the servers web config page?
is there any way to do that without a browser on the pi ?
I'm having trouble remotely bring up a browser either w x11 or vnc.... I don't have the right cables to connect a keyboard or mouse to the pi : (
I'm guessing the pi zero is just too under powered...

for example can I edit app.json and fill in the appCallbackURL and not use a browser ?

Try ip of pi port 8091

thanks for the assist !! Somehow I thought I had to bring up a web browser on the pi (requiring xforwarding or vnc - both failed miserably). Once you told me to do the ip:8091, I could connect from my desktop and complete the steps... Thx !

1 Like