Random Problems with small section of C5's is likely a QC issue at factory

I believe he did:

1 Like

where abouts in you router dose it display these?

By the way, @SmartHomePrimer:
Just the other day I installed a new, fresh out of the box, Hubitat Hub with that flat cable that it came with. Green light on the Hubitat says "GO" to me, but I couldn't reach the hub. Couldn't reach it no matter what I tried. It was getting an IP address from the router, but everything was saying "connection refused".
After around 2 hours of banging my head against the wall (it's pretty flat, by now), I switched cables to a spare Cat6 that I happened to have in my bag.
Preseto! Everything worked!
Forgive my inexperience, but a new cable doesn't work? How many times has that happened to you?

Never because I don't give the flat cables a chance :rofl: They go straight into the garbage!

1 Like

Of course :slight_smile: I despise the flat cables due to interference issues and how easy the wires in them break.

Only tested with them at all because I was certain someone here would ask if I knew if any of the Ethernet cables that came with the units were bad... Using standard cat6 (solid core not the UTP crap) the errors still persist on my hub.

Meanwhile almost another 1000 CRC errors since the last update.

Well I guess just get it swapped out. Stuff happens.

It always puts a smile on my face when we're shocked at how not every single electronic device flying off the line every 30 seconds isn't absolutely perfect. :grinning: It speaks to the level of accuracy the human race has been able to achieve thus far. It boggles the mind.

1 Like

Exactly. I know the amount of testing we as users can do is very limited, but the devs have full root access to these boxes, and can also open them to inspect them without voiding the warranty, and I would assume have a bench set up for testing components on these. It would take them a matter of minutes to determine what is wrong with this hub and then they can ensure no one else is affected by this.

Router does not. Switch however does.

Thats what I have been trying to do for the almost 2 months I have had it. Support has yet to reply to me at all. These forum posts are out of frustration that I am being ignored so far by support. Not even a hey can you try this or that for us. Total silence so far on this issue.

OK. Well, there's a lot of support to do for a small team. So let's start with making them aware of your posts here, since I don't see @bobbyD tagged anywhere.

Tagged in the very first post I made..... Scroll Up... I have also emailed them several times....

I've been very patient with this, still am. Just want it resolved and the devs aware so they can make sure that no one else is affected and prevent bad PR for HE if there is a larger issue they are unaware of.

Understood. I'm gonna be totally honest, and please don't take this as a criticism or minimizing of your issue, but if I had that kind of support load that they have here with a flood of new IRIS, Wink and ST users (increasing daily), your issue would be lower on the list. Since you've already stated you have two other hubs you can use, that's maybe part of how that factors in. Maybe I don't have the full story about the other hubs, or I missed something, and I apologize if that's the case.

There's also a thing that a support team will tend to do out of necessity, and that's to not pursue everything immediately, because often a customer solves the issue themselves. So if you have this massive workload (that never stops by the way) and then you take time to follow up on what might just be a cable (I know you said it's not, but also don't expect that their following this thread either), then you just keep on addressing the ever growing pile, because you have no time to spare.

Taking this to a PM with one of the staff is a good way to help with that. :wink:

2 Likes

I checked my tx and rx errors which I’m assuming are CRC errors on the 4 ports my C4 hubs are connected too. 0 0 0 1 and some of those ports have traffic over 20GB on them. My dev machine a lot more. I have not reset these counters ever afaik but not sure what period that covers.

What I would say is that if this is a hardware issue and the major contributor to slowdowns at least it’s identified and fixable. Rather than worryingly just lurking in the OS / software. Or maybe you do just have a duff unit.

1 Like

No I have another users new hubs that he was gracious enough to allow me to use for a couple days to prove mine has a defect so maybe they would stop ignoring me.

If they weren't ignoring me I would. This is my last resort to get them to help me before
I take this to amazon and allow them to deal with it and all the headaches that triggers for the HE team.

Please stop trying to make excuses for them.

Regardless of company size 2 months is entirely to long to wait for support to try and help you with a hardware defect. Be glad I love the product, understand their issues and am willing to try and wait and work with them.

I could just as easily be a dick and report this to amazon, let amazon deal with it, and let the team deal with the backlash from amazon, including potentially being pulled from the platform.

I don't want that, and am trying very hard to avoid having to do that, BUT I am getting very annoyed with being ignored and having others make excuses for both my problem and my not getting help.

Exactly!! I feel like some people think I am here to attack the platform and I am not at all!! Im trying to get my issue fixed and strengthen the platform by making support aware of a potential QC/hardware issue! Private channels get me no reply so I am taking it to the public channel in hopes it will get their attention finally.

3 Likes

Don't throw accusation at me please. You are not me. I gave you my opinion, that is it. I wasn't rude to you, please don't be rude back to me. I've been in support roles for over 30 years. I know the territory.

If you bought the hub from Amazon, I'm now wondering why you would do all this publicly and state that you're just concerned about bad PR for them. You are actually contributing to bad PR right now by suggesting that there are QC issues. You don't actually know that, it's an assumption. Why people don't just use Amazons very generous return policy, especially for "defective" items, is far beyond my understanding.

1 Like

Not an accusation you literally just came on my thread, didn't even bother taking the time to read what I wrote, then made excuses for them. Fact.

If you've been in support for over 30 years than I think you would know EXACTLY why I don't want to go through amazon... It would be a mark against HE's ODR which can cause them to be pulled from the platform losing a massive sales channel!!!

That being said I am sorry if I was rude... again I am very frustrated after 2 months of trying to get this resolved and being constantly told by users to basically deal with it while support ignores me.

1 Like

and that being said I am going to stop responding here unless support responds or someone has some tests i can run... This is getting me nowhere but more frustrated and having me take that out on users who are just trying to be helpful.

1 Like

One return? I think they be fine.

By the way, I do read these posts. If I missed something while I was trying to help with some words of advice, so what? I'm not being paid for this right now. Have better things to do that I do get paid for, so I'm finished with this thread. Enjoy the rest of your day. I appreciate your willingness to offer an apology, and do hope you get your issue resolved.

I cannot urge you more than to leave you with, you will catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

1 Like

What is your ticket number? I will make sure it gets handled.

@BobbyD has just contacted me. He is sending me a replacement unit and return labels so they can get this unit back I would assume for testing. He did not have any record of my previous contacts, hence why support had not reached out to me, I was not being ignored, I was not known about!
Honey may catch more flies, but I hate flies and needed a dev. Sadly the stink of vinegar is the one your likely to look for. :stuck_out_tongue:

No hard feelings @SmartHomePrimer and I really do apologize for my response! I know you were trying to help, with the lack of inflection and tone on the net it is easy to take things in ways they were not meant, especially when you are upset or frustrated already!

Bobby just contacted me and is now on top of it!

Will update again with the happy dance once I have the new unit :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What were your errors on your original hub?