Radio buttons on dashboard

Got my HE yesterday, and started to add devices to it. One of devices is Onyko AVR, I was able to add it, and control it from the device page. I would like to use a dashboard controlling it, my questions are:

• How do I add radio buttons for each input source on dashboard?
  • How can I change radio stations on dashboard?
  • Volume range on my unit is from 0 to 80, how can I set the range? (default is 0 to 100)
  • How to make volume control vertical?

Thanks!

1 Like

The dashboard is not set up to be media controller friendly. It's set up to control things like lights and fans and thermostats and whatnot. Its not a universal remote. So, there is no way to change any of the things that you listed at present. That doesn't mean they can't be added but there is no way to do it today. I just don't think there's been a high enough demand yet for this functionality. @patrick has been the staff member I see respond most frequently to dashboard questions. Maybe he can add these requests to the list for future dashboard improvements.

You would need to probably do this via virtual switches or buttons

Again, you can do this with rules and virtual buttons

You can't set the range in dashboard.

There isn't a volume tile that is vertical, however, depending on the driver, there is a level tile that is vertical. This will control the level not volume, so if the driver maps level to volume, it should work, Otherwise a quick virtual dimmer device could be used to sync it back to volume.

Hubitat was designed as an automation system first and foremost. So doing these activities are really meant to be triggered from automation using Rules or other apps. Dashboard would just be an interface to trigger those automations.

Example, use dashboard to trigger a Rule via virtual button or switch that sets the input to what you want, plays the radio station you want and sets the level you want.

It isn't meant to reproduce a remote control, although with the above suggestions you can get fairly close.

Thanks for the feedback @Ryan780 and @patrick.stuart!

I didn't expect set the range, how can I set the range in the device handler? Can volume template honor the range?

Could you please point me to the document how to write such driver?

you had great points here. I think it will be great that home automation could handle both back-end side ( the one you referred as what Hubitat was designed), and front side ( which is human interaction part of home automation, e.g. dashboard),

It can...for things it was designed to control. It's not designed to be a universal remote for your stereo system. If you want that, there are plenty of applications and devices out there to get that functionality. It's designed to be a home automation system to control everything in your home. Not just change the radio station on your stereo. If you're going to pick up something to change the station, why not just pick up a remote control vs your phone?

How do you create at Rule to link a virtual button/switch/dimmer to the stereos virtual device buttons. I do not see the correct drop downs in the Rule set up to select Volume up or down in virtual device I have set up.