RA2 Select and Caseta on a single large network - Project report

I could have used RA2 select for everything but keep in mind that you have pay $70 more for each switch. 100 X 70 = $7,000 extra.

1 Like

Also I had to deal with a 100 limit on RA2 select and a 75 limit on Caseta.

1 Like

Also what are the solutions for huge homes; today. I did one completely in Z-Wave and that home needs a lot of attention. I have done some commercial in Zigbee with a huge success but a house this size? I used to do them in Insteon but that is not really an option now; I do miss the reliability of an ISY with Insteon.

It is not a code requirement in any location that I am aware of. I am an electrical engineer so I do have some experience.

Yeah I hear you!!! Thats a whole lot of extra cost - even if a client can afford it, generally they would prefer not to.

I had a "smaller" 5000+ SqFt, 3 story house built in 1890 where I replaced 74 dimmers/switches. The owners did not like the space age look of Caseta and balked at the cost of the RA2 stuff (the electrician was desperately trying to push). The switches had to be toggle style not paddle. Ended up going with Zooz (Zen23/24) - got them for about $19 a piece. I did add a 2nd HE hub for their detached garage (they had a Cat6 run there already) due to signal issues. System has been working well for over a year but their automation is limited to just some motion lighting right now - it's what they wanted after all that... :neutral_face:

The main issue with going with a non-RA2 solution is that the switches don't quite match existing especially in the "toggle" style.. for an expensive home it is not the best most consistent look I think but it depends on the client of course.

I do wish there would be more of toggle style switches. I tend to do modern homes so the Caseta works in those cases. In the large Z-Wave house I used Homeseer WD200 and WS200 switches. I eventually had to make a center location even though it was not easy. Since then it has been pretty reliable though I monitor it closely. I am considering a full Zigbee install. I think that will work well. I have done a few industrial installations and I have yet to have an issue (GE Enbrighten).

P.S. The days of a $19 switch are long gone. Construction costs are way up.

1 Like

I know... :sob:

but you can get deals if you buy bulk. Both Zooz and Inovelli are willing to work with you on that if you contact them.

1 Like

I do avoid Z-Wave at this time.

1 Like

And I completely understand that thinking especially if you've been burned or are worried about a larger scale deployment given all the fun we have here in these forums re:Z-Wave.. My experience has been mostly positive.. :crossed_fingers: but I try to be careful and overbuild on purpose.

I do like Z-wave, I just can not trust it in a large installation. So far I have found Zigbee more basic but more reliable.

1 Like

For locks absolutely and for fan switches as well - GE/Jasco can take the load vs Zooz. I have had some ZB devices drop off from time to time which is annoying but thankfully rare and easy to resolve by simply going into pairing mode.. The only other major issue was having Zigbee go offline caused by a Hub resource issue (sometimes Z-Wave!!).

I try and keep my device brand diversity as low as possible - sticking with only a few I have had good experience with. At home it's a bit different of course..

I assume that difference was for RRD-PROs. You can cut the difference a fair amount by using RRD-6NDs. They will work just as well in the vast majority of applications as long as there is a neutral wire and the LEDs are forward phase.

The only quality non-dealer possibility is Lutron. I wouldn't use Z-Wave in a house that big with customers who are likely to be demanding. "Just go into Hubitat and repair your mesh!" From a dealer system perspective the Control4 dimmers are pretty nice. They use C4's Zigbee Pro radios.

Those are possible options but cost a lot more.

I use some Z-wave devices in my personal home. The Inovelli Switches are very nice and I have a few. At home I can play with them and fix up the network at anytime, when it is a customer; I have to be reliable over all else.

1 Like

C4 lighting is price competitive with RadioRA 2 at the MSRP level. It's a good fit for some customers.

Something to consider.