RA2 Select and Caseta on a single large network - Project report

Actually some would consider this best practice especially if the boxes are steel and/or you are installing thick devices like an older GFCI outlet. I live in Chicago where all residential wiring is in conduit and steel boxes. In my newer house some of the electrical installers wrapped, some did not.

For Alexa and HomeKit I'd recommend routing both through Hubitat. Lutron's native integrations and Hubitat's have a setting that works differently. Lutron's integrations will always turn on a dimmer to 100% when you use the 'on' command. Hubitat's integration defaults to the previous 'on' level, but can be programmed to a set level. (Note that this is not an issue if you are always using scenes to control the dimmers.) EDIT: Since you are using RA2 Select and Caséta, their physical 'on' buttons alway are 100%. So you may want to keep dual routing, but set the Hubitat controlled devices to come on at 100%.

1 Like

I am not sure but I do suspect there is some interference between the two.

In those cases there is a special tape not standard electrical tape. Either way do not use STANDARD electrical tape is such an operation. It turns in to Goo.

Typically I like to go direct to the Hub for HomeKit and/or Alexa. Keep in mind this is not my house and the more points of failure mean the more problems I tend to have. Most customers are very basic and tend not to educate them otherwise.

Same thing is true in NYC re: metal boxes and conduit, and I’ve read the same explanation re: taping receptacles/switches.

Edit: I’m not an electrician though, so :thinking: :man_shrugging:.

3M Super 33+ is fine and I'd call that standard. Cheap tape is not fine. But cheap tape is not useful for any purpose.

Most direct frequently makes sense. Just realize that if your customers are using 'on' commands they may get different results if you don't change/set device defaults in Hubitat.

In order for this to work properly, the frequency of the RA2 main repeater needs to be changed from the default, I don't know if this is possible with select or not.
If this isn't done there will be delays (1 second or more) in command execution when commands are sent/received between the hubs at the same time.

2 Likes

Agreed with the Alexa comment. I still would not wrap residential outlets with any tape ever :slight_smile:

RA2 select does not appear to offer that. I solved the issue anyway by keep them a few feet apart. I think they can not be side by side.

I am not sure but they probably are. Just do not keep them side by side.

???

Not sure why that solves it. Certainly doesn't solve it for two Caseta bridges (the issue isn't interference, it is contention).

Well it worked.

Didn't you say you had to issue commands 1 second apart to get it to work?

2 Likes

I did both and the combination of the two solved the problem. I am happy with its present setup.

Mmmm this is interesting info.. I had a client where I was tempted to implement a solution like this due to an almost out of range Caseta switches in a back garage around 100 (!) feet or so from the hub. Fortunately was able to install a repeater outlet and that did the trick. If I had to do this with two Bridge Pro 2s I'm assuming the contention would be less of an issue the farther apart the hubs were?

Also @silverton38 - sounds like a fun project with some interesting challenges.. have not worked on a house quite that large yet, ~6000 SqFt has been my biggest so far.

1 Like

As @mike.maxwell indicated above, the only way I know around this in a normal sized house (<4000 sq ft) is to use an RA2 main repeater and a Caséta bridge. Then put the main repeater on a different frequency.

RA2 Select and Caséta do not permit frequency selection.

2 Likes

Okay thanks.. yeah maybe dodged a bit of a bullet there. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I did installed a repeater (lamp module) on the Caseta hub but I did not have a repeater on the RA2 hub. I did find an excellent center position for both. I was a little surprised that it worked but it does. Keep in mind the RA2 switches are only on a single floor so that helps. The Caseta is spread over two floors (upper and lower and some on the main).

Oof I don't know if I would intermix like that.. but I guess you had no choice given the requirements. If it's working then great but hopefully no callbacks... :grimacing:

I could have used RA2 select for everything but keep in mind that you have pay $70 more for each switch. 100 X 70 = $7,000 extra.

1 Like

Also I had to deal with a 100 limit on RA2 select and a 75 limit on Caseta.

1 Like