Quiet at the minute

Been trying to find a time when my wife won't notice that things aren't working. When things don't behave as normal she loses confidence in the entire platform. I know you all know what I mean. I try to make it reliable as dial tone (back in the day.)

3 Likes

I get that but sometimes diagnostics can be a pain. I mean look at it this way. How do you know it's not the alexa integration unless you can turn it off to observe the effect either positively or negatively? Same goes for anything else. At some point you need to bite the bullet to forge ahead. Even in medicine, sometimes the cure is extremely painful but worth it in the end....

"Rip the Band-Aid off"

I was able to find what was causing my freeMemory loss, but first, I explained to my wife that the only way for me to figure it out was to take one thing away every couple of days. Losing a little functionality in steps is better than having a non-responsive hub after four days. It also provided an opportunity to re-evaluate what we want and don't want out of our smart home.

I just had 29 days of uptime and for the last week freeMemory had been staying at 360-375MB. I only rebooted because I added the offender back to the hub for final verification.

We're all dying to know what it was.

4 Likes

For me "Splitting the Load" was a fallacy. Hub Mesh was the cause.

2 Likes

@gopher.ny

1 Like

FWIW i moved my LAN based items (Kasa, Switchbot, ESPhome, Weather) to my C7 and it really reduced the memory load on my C8.

I've also been noticing the lack of updates and staff forum activity lately. Hopefully everything is ok

Normally a sign that an alpha release may be in testing.

1 Like

.... I'll be here all week.....

1 Like

"The offender" was the mesh? Or was it a device or integration or ____?

Are we playing a game of Hangman? :smile:

2 Likes

:grinning: Only @bjcowles knows for sure.

1 Like

It was the mesh itself. That 29 days of good uptime on my C-8 had everything from two other hubs on it. 30 hours ago, I re-enabled Hub Mesh and am sharing a single motion sensor from a C-3 to the C-8 and freeMemory is already down over 100MB.

My freeMemory problems started around the time the Hub Mesh protocol was changed from UDP to TCP. Maybe the hubs don't like that? Maybe my home network doesn't like that? I wish I had the skills to troubleshoot and articulate better .

1 Like

Interesting. Again, a peek under the hood in the JVM to see what is eating memory would help. Then we could report to HE where the problems lie. Something like https://visualvm.github.io

3 Likes

That's interesting.

In my case I moved my LAN stuff to a C7 and use Hub Mesh to share my Kasa, SwitchBot, and ESPHome devices to my C8 (all my rules are on the C8)

My C7, C8, and SmartThings hubs are all connected to a D-Link 5-port switch which is connected to the ISP supplied router/IP TV device (Home Hub 3000).

Splitting the load and using Hub Mesh solved the memory issues I was having on my C8.

Prior to splitting it up, memory had dropped to around 200k after about 2 weeks of uptime.

1 Like

I probably get about 2.5-3 weeks at the moment. Needed to restart mine today after 18-21 days.

1 Like

Looks like it's not a major update coming

1. There is nothing to read into or not in release numbers.
  2. What is major / minor can be very subjective.
  3. 2.3.5 introduced the C-8 and radio migration; was that major?

Seriously, we just bump the number each time pretty much irrespective on planned or actual content in a release.

11 Likes

Well, that's no fun.

1 Like