Quick Smart Lock Technology Question/Recommendation Regarding Yale & Schlage

From what I’ve read on Hubitat posts so far fingerprint info isn’t being report. I wish it would so I could create an automation like if I open it after sunset turn on X lights but if daughter opens it turn on y lights.

I can’t program so I’ll just have to wait until someone can come up with the driver or Hubitat works out something with U-Tec.

1 Like

Well, it should still detect digital/manual/code opening, so I guess you could be more generic with your lock/unlock rules. For me the only difference in my rule is an announcement of Welcome Home %value% so that it uses the name of the person the code is attached to, beyond that the rule does the same for everyone in the house.

I have Schlage Z wave plus and love them. I have them connected through my Ring alarm system and integrated in Hubitat.

1 Like

I have 3 of them. More suited to our aesthetic...

Same. I've had Yales for exactly two years now. They are both zigbee and replaced z-wave equivalents from Schlage. I got keyless versions, and have spare 9V batteries in a waterproof box outside my garage. The locks have been flawless.

4 Likes

My Zigbee Yale YRD256 and Kwikset 912s are going great as well.. The 912 gets daily use and the family loves it but I may eventually replace because a deadbolt would be preferable security-wise.

On the other hand arguably residential locks are kind of security theater anyway when there are other ways of ingress so doing so maybe not really necessary unless there are more extreme circumstances than I'm currently in.

3 Likes

Agree with you and @staze about the "security theater" notion... Prior to smart locks being a thing, I put Medeco deadbolts in all my doors (just 3 incl detached garage) as new homeowner.

When the Yale YRD246 came out, I put those in my garage and side (house) doors - we use those all the time, so going keyless has been a great convenience - those locks have been flawless. I did leave a Medeco in my front door - we never use that one for comings-&-goings, and I admit I do like knowing that I have a keyed option to get in if something went sideways with the keyless Yale.

If a bad guy really wants in my house, picking a lock is gonna be low on their list. And if they're going to smash the door in, quibbling about ANSI 1 vs 2 vs X gets irrelevant pretty fast IMO.

Those Yale YRDs have been a big win for us.

3 Likes

They do...

Completely agree. In a residential setting I seriously doubt if anyone is going to try to compromise the lock with anything but brute force. YRD256 here, works great. Zigbee all the way.

1 Like

Same units I put on our 3 doors. Works great, battery life is stellar.

I had bought them in z-wave, but I had no other z-wave devices so the mesh was non-existent. They worked 1/2 the time and killed the batteries trying to connect back. Ended up swapping the modules for zigbee since that's the whole ecosystem I have, and it's been flawless.

2 Likes

I agree. I would caution against the key. It can still be bumped. Go keyless as it seems to be less easy to bypass.

2 Likes

Breaking into the average house is usually a crime of opportunity. I mean, does the average local thief keep a bump gun with them? No, they'll bust a window and open it up if they really want in...

2 Likes

Yep. I was looking at that lock yesterday. For all the features, I would loose alot of WAF points for the aesthetics.

Any UK/EU folk here that could comment on UK smart lock options? I've been using the Yale Conexis L1 with the zwave gen2 module and its been pretty faultless. I'd actually say I love them (once you get to know them). However I've recently moved to a new home where the doors have more standard mortice locks rather than the UPVC multipoint (lift to lock) doors that the Yale Conexis requires.

There are a few quirky Chinese made options for mortice locks although the quality and reviews are very mixed. They also use BLE (usually for app based control) and some have a separate hub (usually wifi) for remote/out of home control. Haven't found any options that have built in zwave or zigbee that could be directly integrated with HE like the Yale.

BTW I haven't seen Kwikset or Schlage being available in the UK. And obviously can't import due to the frequency differences.

FWIW, they both come in zigbee versions, and the same zigbee channels are supported by Hubitat in all regions (unlike zwave).

1 Like

True. Bump keys are easy and cheap. Guns not so much. A lot of break ins in my srea are teens. They almost always break glass or use a bar to force a door.

2 Likes