Quick Demo of Lutron Pico and Hue Groups, All Local Connections

Thanks. Is it just size and battery life then that is the advantage?

I have seen that pic, but it doesn't really help me I think, because I am in the UK, which has different sized cover plates which are square. I did google for Lutron faceplates to cover UK style gangs, but couldn't find any.

Size wise the Pico is 33x66 mm, whilst the NanoMote is 55x55 mm, so there really isn't much difference.

Also is it not a downside to use Lutron's proprietary radio signals, in that I would end up with less z-wave devices in my z-wave mesh? Also my understanding from what I read is that Lutron doesn't use a mesh approach.

How good are the Lutron signals at penetrating solid brick walls compared to using the z-wave mesh? I ask because the new house I'm moving into next month is not so new, it was built in 1824 with solid brick internal walls.

Cheers,
EF

ZigBee is going to be the toughest to go through walls, then zwave and then lutron. If there is rebar or mesh wire in the walls, nothing will work.

Lutron is not a mesh but a very simple but reliable messaging format. They have a lot of invested that makes it just work. Its a closed system meaning you can't just add any device to their system like ZigBee or zwave but with our integration it bridges their ecosystem to the rest of the IOT world.

1 Like

1824, nice! Are your electrical wiring and gas or water pipes are all external? I guess the slight thickness difference won't be noticeable :slight_smile:

Most of the electric gas and water runs under the floor boards I think. And some electrics in the walls. Not all the internal walls are solid brick, non-supporting walls are wood lath and plaster construction. No rebar or mesh wire.

Thank you all for the information, really useful. If you were in my position with no existing setup, would you prefer to opt for Lutron then, instead of z-wave, even if it means less devices in the z-wave mesh?

Actually no existing setup is not entirely true. We do have 4 Philips Hue Bloom lights and 2 Hue hubs, bought cheaply in a sale some years back, and a Hue dimmer, and some hacked Amazon dash buttons, but I'll just treat them as additional.

OK. Big difference if you're in the UK. They only make deco style (rectangular) devices. So they won't match what you have in the UK.

These switches might be more of interest to you. They're Zigbee, so you'll want repeaters if your switches will be far from the hub. No idea on direct Hubitat compatibility, but they work with the Hue Bridge and the Hue Bridge integrates with Hubitat.

1 Like

Looks like the device in the pic is a Lutron Connected Bulb Remote (Zigbee), not a Lutron Pico (i.e., Caseta) Similar, but not the same.

But the point of his post I believe was about the mount, not the device itself. I have those mounts on both my connected bulb remotes and picos.

Lutron has international Pico faceplates.

You might need to offset it from the other switches so it's by itself.

2 Likes

Ok, for the info of anyone else in Europe interested in this.

The next stumbling block was actually finding the Caseta for sale in Europe. Impossible.

Finally contacted Lutron, who told me its only available in North America.

But the RA2 Select will be available in the UK from next week.

1 Like