Questions on improving reliability

Just add z-wave operates at a frequency that doesn’t overlap with WiFi or Zigbee.

This makes it much less susceptible to many common sources of interference - but not all.

I've had the opposite experience, honestly. I went from having over 200 Z-Wave devices to just 7 Z-Wave+ devices now. Zigbee has been much more stable for me in terms of lighting and sensors. It all depends on your network and where your devices are. There's just so many variables to having a good mesh (Z-Wave or Zigbee).

1 Like

Yes that's true. It all depends...

1 Like

Here is one thing I noticed on my reliability issues... that could be an easy patch maybe...

If I notice a light didn't go off at sunset like it should... I can go into RM and look at my dusk to dawn rule and just push "done" and boom... the light goes off like it should have... probalby b/c the rule is re-evaluated and executed... right?

Can I set up a rule that periodically just triggers/refreshes another rule? You see what I mean?

The way I address this is to put lights into Groups, even if it has just one member, and control the groups from Simple Lighting, Motion Lighting or RM, instead of the controlling the light devices themselves. And then with a RM, compare the state of the Group master with the state of the members (children), and push a on or off to all of them to bring them in line if they don't match. Takes 2 rules, an on and a off checker, for each group. I do a refresh in the checkers for good measure as sometimes the state doesn't update until refreshed.

HI Jon1 - that sounds like a good solution. Not sure I am up for the complexity though... I'll have to look the idea over :slight_smile: I really just want to be able to refresh EVERY device AND re-evaulate EVERY rule once per hour or something like that. That is what I would really like.