Questions about Hubitat history

@Gnant you must have a story to tell as well. With @bravenel's story, it was all new to me since I was not a part of the Smartthings crowd. I have watched tidbits of your story unfold here but perhaps you could do some fill in.

3 Likes

What I am reading here demonstrates the difference that makes Hubitat such a usable system. I was involved a bit with Iris and it used to bother the hell out of me that they hired coders that were not users or HA enthusiast. They would just code based on what they were told and not based on knowing why and what they were really trying to accomplish. It was a disaster and they failed spectacularly.

8 Likes

It is pretty easy to tell when devices or services lack passion. I love the passion here from all the crew and the community members (except maybe a few) :wink:

10 Likes

Yes! Enthusiasm makes all the difference.

4 Likes

It's still on ST forum. It was the lowest of low for ST when @bravenel left the forum and RM. Good old fun days :grin:

6 Likes

bumped for all the new HE'ers to see worth the read. Helped my perspective on the company and community.

7 Likes

Totally new here. I'm a current SmartThings user. This is actually my first post. Hubitat has become more and more appealing as time goes on and when searching for "How to switch to Hubitat from SmartThings" a post came up that linked to this one.

This post is all that is necessary to finalize my decision. Even if I hadn't researched Hubitat and had just heard it was a compatible smart home hub, and someone showed me this post, I would be convinced.

If anyone reading this is on the fence about switching over, you should know that while I don't know anything about the company, I was there from the ST Kickstarter days and Bruce is absolutely the real deal and had I known he is one of the key elements in Hubitat creation, I would have switched over a long time ago.

Ordering my hub today. Looking forward to Hubitat.

Thanks,
Fred

11 Likes

Honestly, this is what pushed me to Hubitat, too. Shortly before Hubitat's release, I had just finished migrating most of my setup to Home Assistant for local control (I had been using SmartThings since shortly after the Kickstarter era..but still long enough to have experienced too many cloud problems) when I read about this new hub...and I was like "not again!" Then I saw some of the names behind it and bought one right away.

Oh, and welcome to the green side. :smiley:

5 Likes

Welcome to Hubitat!

I wish I could claim I chose to start using Hubitat based on the reputations of those who started it, but that would be a lie. It was pure dumb luck. However, after starting to use Hubitat, I read bits and pieces of Bruce's history and achievements - they're hugely impressive.

7 Likes

Jumping on this thread to say how happy I am to have found Hubitat. Got my hub 2 days ago and have been thoroughly impressed so far. It has been a lot of work migrating from ST, but well worth it.

Being a gen 1 SmartThings user, Hubitat feels like home. So glad Samsung is discontinuing the gen 1 hub otherwise I probably wouldn’t have jumped when I did.

This is what SmartThings was at one time and and should be today if they cared at all. Glad you guys had the gumption to do it yourselves. THANK YOU!

(Please just don’t sell yet, give us some more time to enjoy it...)

10 Likes

I expect Green is going to be pretty good to be.

@bravenel Who has the honor of being sale number one?

1 Like

Ha! Customer Privacy means I can't tell you, although I know who it is. To the best of my knowledge that hub was never put into service. The first 30 or so hubs had handwritten serial numbers on them on the bottom.

And they had a signed card like this in the package:

We stopped doing that after about 30 and a few hubs were bought by senior people at ST.

11 Likes

It was me...... :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

9 Likes

Lol! One day it will be the equivalent of a barn find for classic cars. "Zero miles, original interior, stored indoors."

6 Likes

Yeah, show us the bottom of your C-3 hub with #1 on it!! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I was expecting that challenge and amazingly, there is not a single picture online of a C3 hub when googled. You caught me.....

3 Likes

@ogiewon has #21. Get a pic of his and erase the 2.

4 Likes

Your suggestion would have been better as a PM. :grinning:

Now I am curious, what does a C3 look like?

A C-3 looks identical to a C-4 but without the green logo silkscreen on top.

1 Like