Question on Z-Wave Locks and Z-Wave Performance

Beaming repeaters will work with locks. It will eventually fix its routes but discovery takes a while as it chit-chats with peers. Doing it across a whole mesh for all your devices causes all kinds of havoc while they try to sort out their routes.

Just to be clear, you're suggesting that we leave the hub where it lives, indefinitely, and just make the mesh more robust in general to pair devices like locks? I did have problems in the past doing that, but I'll definitely try that again next time I have the need.

Moving it for a single device probably isn't going to be a big deal. Moving around to pair every device in your home will really screw up the routing and will take forever to settle in. In the meantime all kinds of errors will show up and you'll start seeing a bunch of not responding and failed devices as they try to figure out a path back to the hub.

3 Likes

oh yeah I normally don't need to move it for most devices -- just seems that locks in particular are very picky.

Garage door openers can be a pain too.

Yes, because there are 3 different inclusion modes....

Locks (and other perimeter security devices) often use Low Power inclusion mode, which reduces the radio power so that pairing has to be done very close to the hub (1-3 feet-ish). This is to reduce the possibility of snoopers hearing the exchange of security keys and swiping them.

For completeness, the other two inclusion modes are full power and network wide.

Very few "new" devices use Low Power inclusion mode any more - and nothing that supports S2 should be using it ever. It is mainly just older devices.

1 Like

Maybe it’s because I have a z-wave powered inovelli switch for my front porch right beside the smart lock (and through most of my home) but my Z-wave kwickset is rock solid and my hub is on the far opposite end of my home.

I’d also second the recommendations above and say moving your hub around can be problematic although similar to others I also had to change the driver option to the “generic” zwave lock before I got consistent results.

If you continue to have problems then you can try moving or powering off a device nearby -- but that seems odd. My devices are randomly peppered around the house with total disregard, and for the most part work okay.