Question on Life360 Integration and other Geofencing Apps

As far as privacy, that's a philosophical discussion not technical. The fact that you have a cell phone your privacy has already been compromised.

There are definitely settings on the Android side that you might be missing. You must go into the advanced settings on the application to permissions and location; select allow all the time. In addition to that, under battery details you'll have to select unrestricted. This should resolve those issues.
I have tested and used Webcore and this does work even after a reboot of the phone and the Hub.

2 Likes

I don't think it's that much of a philosophical question when I can look in the app and see exactly where my wife is and vice versa, that's a no-go. I just want home/away. From my understanding the only way for life360 can share location with the hub is to also let the precise location be visible to everyone in the circle or linked to the account. Like I said, if it's possible to have multiple instancesn of the hubitat connector app or multiple life360 accounts in hubitat where the apps don't have to have multiple people that's different.

I've already done the "all the time" location (OwnTracks doesn't have the option). I will double check battery settings.

Second update from work to home:

Started out by restarting phone and didn't open any apps afterwards. Double checked location permissions and battery optimization.

Hubitat: success (0.4% battery)
Improved Presence: success (0.5% battery)
Smartthings: success (0.5% battery)
Webcore: failed (0.2%) - never switched at work.
OwnTracks: failed (0.2% battery)

I think I have the Hubitat beta and my wife has the official release, that might be the difference. My current geofencing solution is Smartthings and it hasn't been working lately, and requires me to keep a hub just for this use case. It looks like I might be switching to Improved Mobile Presence as a backup but keep hope that hubitat can keep it up. I haven't tried the Tasker solution as that isn't free and don't want to go down that road unless I have to; I have it already but wife doesn't.

That is, by definition, a philosophical choice as @jsarcone indicated. It is your philosophy that you don't want to know your partner's location (and/or vice-versa). There are others who use Life360 for precisely that reason; it being their philosophy that they desire to know their partner's precise location.

2 Likes

Seemed like they were going this route:

But whatever, I'm not here to play semantics. If Life360 privacy issues are acceptable to some people that's their choice. They aren't acceptable to me.

1 Like

If anyone is curious, only Hubitat Beta and Smartthings performed as expected today. OwnTracks requires the app to be opened after restart, Improved Mobile Presence requires wifi or bluetooth (known), Webcore failed to update at all.

Improved Mobile Presence performed well, but is probably just a substitute for iPhone Wifi Presence until they add geofencing.

Wife and I have long used Life360 for easily being to see where each other is -- we're together most of the time, but in case something ever went sideways when we're apart, we both agree it's nice capability. Neither of us use it to snoop - we're just not that exciting or devious :wink:

The fact that it had an easy HE integration was just icing on the cake for me -- my wife doesn't really want any HA apps on her phone (she loves the benefits, but no interest in the work!), so her already having Life360 loaded led to an easy win.

Life360 ain't always perfect in HE (occasional lags), but it's works totally good enough for our needs. I haven't ever been irked enough to pursue anything more robust than the stock HE integration.

2 Likes

Same experience here. We use Life360 as designed, enjoying the HE integration as an additional benefit. It works flawlessly on my Android (with optimizations killed) and is mostly OK on my family's iPhones.

2 Likes

I've used a combo of Life360 and the iPhone Wifi Presence which works great.
Hubitat Mobile would be great to use if they fix the reliability issues with the geofence, but Life360 serves that job anyway.

We're ok with seeing where each other is at. Handy to see when one of us have left to come home to start dinner etc.

1 Like