Question about RM

I need to setup rule(s) to turn on my outside lights around Sunset and then off when I go to bed. My question about RM is should I create a single rule to do both (using delay condition before turning off) OR create two separate rules (one for turning on the lights and one to turn off the lights)? I don't see or know of the pro/con or if one method is better than the other.

If you haven't installed the Simple Automation rules check that out first. It will probably work great for this.

2 Likes

Simple Automation would work but I believe you would need to setup 2 automations, one to turn on at sunset and one to turn off at bedtime. In Simple Automation once you setup the trigger to turn on at Sunset the only option to turn off would be Sunrise, so a second automation would be required to turn off at bedtime. No problem using 2 Simple Automations.

Hook'em Horns....

2 Likes

Better to keep rules simple so they execute as expected. The more convoluted the rule gets the more likely it is to break. Also if some bug comes along and breaks part of the rule, like sunset doesn't read correctly, it won't break a bunch of other stuff, just the rules that are dependant on that variable.

1 Like

Alternatively this can be done in Rm with a Wait for condition. Provided bedtime has some condition it can wait for(like a mode or virtual switch)

It may be a bit faster in SA. But ultimately this logic and triggers won’t add a significant cloud to the hub

@Hasty1 ... thanks for providing the info about the load on HE as that was my biggest question.

Just remember it’s best to make a trigger as specific as possible.

“Switch turns on” is better than “switch turns changed”

May I ask what you are using to define "going to bed". Is it a mode?
Just wondering as if you let us know I'm sure someone will post a rule for you. (If you want one of course).

Understood... that is how my rules were setup on my ISY/INSTEON so I have experience with the pitfalls of "change".

And change sans you have to evaluate what state it is in and a lot of time that is unnecessary.

Has more information on the subject

I try to hold to this wherever possible, but I went through all my rules again and found one I could simplify.

I recently moved all my button controllers from RM to The Button Controller app. It made me re-evaluate and simplify a lot of rules

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.