Question about RM Cancel Wait

Hi

I cant find cancel wait in RM 4.1. This rule created with RM4.0 is working fine

But the cancel wait is missing from RM4.1
It doesnt work if i put cancel delayed actions instead, which is the only option i could find.

thank you

Sorry i just tried it. It doesnt work that way.

Any waits are cancelled automatically each time a rule is triggered.

To be honest i hate this rule machine and the simple rules are not working.
Only thing is working fine is the motion lighting but in there is not humidity or temperature option.

As mentioned above you don't need "Cancel Wait"; waits are cancelled any time a rule is re-triggered. This action was removed from Rule 4.1 (and probably should have never been in 4.0 either) because it's not needed.

But your rule is a bit odd: you're triggering on > 91, then doing a wait for condition for < 93 (very shortly after where it is almost certainly true, but time isn't my point). Some values that satisfy that wait will also match your trigger, and then you have a conflict. The behavior is not defined as to which will happen first (the retrigger than erases the wait, or the wait proceeding with the next action). I'd avoid this by avoiding this overlap of values. If you explain what you want the rule to do (in English, ignoring anything specifically to Rules Machine), someone might be able to help you rethink this if this explanation of the behavior isn't helpful.

Regarding "Cancel Delayed Actions," that does not affect waits, but it does affect delays. You'll probably want one in this rule, though in most cases you probably won't notice the difference. But if your retriggers and that delayed job was already scheduled, it will still execute unless cancelled (no matter how many times the rule retriggers in thenmeantime--and it can even get scheduled more that once, so you could get stuck with multiple pending "off"s). The "cancelable" option you chose on this delay has no affect without a cancelation somewhere. Alternatively, "Wait for event: elapsed time" effectively gives you a delay that automatically cancels on retrigger, saving a couple clicks.

2 Likes

I dont understand a bloody thing out of this why anybody who wants to use hubitat has to mathematician?? . You should write simple ,WORKING software for the everyday people. Why dont you advertise" Hubitat that is not for the Plebs!"

1 Like

This is available

2 Likes

Rule Machine is an advanced tool. If you want to use it, you will need to read the docs to figure out how it works. It is not programming per se, but it does require you to think a bit like a programmer.

I'd suggest SAR or Basic Rules, as mentioned above. Basic Rules is new and was created to address what sounds like one of your concerns. There are also a lot of community apps, and perhaps one of them can do what you want (though I'm still not sure what that is). Any built-in app--and most user-created apps--are going to be much easier than Rule Machine.

(Also, none of us are staff--just community members trying to help.)

6 Likes

The good thing is there's a clear and simple path out of plebedom, thanks to the extensive documentation provided by the Hubitat staff. Though I don't think anyone here has yet ascended to the title of mathematician.

4 Likes

I actually like RM. I'm new to hubitat and went straight to it and so far I really haven't used anything else. I will say, the interface could be cleaned up some tho. For example, it allows you to create conditions that are not used if you don't choose Conditional Action vs Action. This was confusing at first.

1 Like

Been there, done that. When I first attempted to use RM it made little or no sense to me but I decided I would check with the people here before I pitched it out with the trash. Once the folks here got me on the right track (or RM way of thinking) I quickly changed my mind. Today, I cant live without. I still hit the wall from time to time but help is pretty easy to find here.

Don't give up. It's worth the effort needed to learn it.

9 Likes

Much better but more expensive option then is Homey or similar hub. Easy to understand, simple UI but with some limitations in case of more complex rules.
However, once you learn how to use RM, you will find out that options are limitless and very transparent if you know how to use logical flow within rules. Been with Fibaro, Vera, Homey, Home Assistant and HE is so far the best fit for me.

There are some other options out there besides the ones already mentioned.
Personally I use RM now I've got my head round it but I still need to use webCoRE for around 10 rules that I cannot do cleanly on RM. webCoRE let's me do these rules easier.
There is also Event Engine written by @bptworld.
A lot of people are using it and find it easier to use. There are numerous choices out there.
Perhaps give them a try and then use the one that suits you best.

So if I am reading this right, your rule says once a condition is reached, greater than 91% RH to wait until a given condition, RH is less than 93% RH. My question is what on earth for? What are you trying to accomplish?

Why not a conditional if / then statement. something along the lines of

IF bahtroom humidity > 91% AND bathroom hunidity < 93% THEN do a thing else whatever else you want?

1 Like

Hubitat censorship is working

No idea what you are going on about, as I have no idea what was/was not censored.

But who ever said a private forum had any guarantee of freedom of speech or freedom of censorship? In fact the terms of use say quite the opposite.

Anyway, have a great day.

4 Likes

Private forum ?? No freedom of speech ??? WTF

Yes. Which part don't you understand/agree with? This is forum run by a private company, freedom of speech protections are against government interference - which doesn't apply in any privately owned (unregulated) forum - and not just Hubitat's, that is true of pretty much any online forum.

You're the one that said:

My comment was in reference to that. If I misunderstood your vague post, I apologize in advance.

Oh, and I'll also point out that just like on any other forum, non-Hubitat admin/trusted members can edit post titles, too. So don't assume it was a Hubitat employee that changed it. Kind of like I just fixed your title to make it more accurate (although I was not the one that edited it any previous time it may have been edited). :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Than who takes the liberty to change what i wrote?

I don't know who changed the title before, and I don't know of a way for a non-admin to check that. For my part, I don't think I have ever changed a title without telling the author.

I am the one that just changed it removing "Hubitat" though, as you don't know that's who changed the title in the past.

To my knowledge no one other than an admin can change the actual content of a POST though (if even they can - I've never actually seen it done on a discourse forum). That is different than titles that multiple levels can edit. I believe multiple account levels can move a post from one area to another as well.

1 Like