Pushover Question

So I'm currently using pushover for myself and it works awesome!

However, for simple notifications I have my wife receiving them through SMS. As you know they are pulling the plug on this.

I know you're able to create another pushover virtual device, but how can I make sure my wife only receivs certain notifications but not all of the same ones I do?

Do I have to create a second application under pushover and copy the api key and use that api key when creating a new virtual pushover device?

Would that do it?

Create 2 pushover Device handlers:

Pushover User1
Pushover User2

Then inside the Device Handler Set the Device Name to the Device you want the messages sent to
Finally Set your notifications that you want your wife to receive to your wife's pushover DH and your all set.

Okay so I don't create a new app under pushover. I use the same API and user keys?

Correct.

Simply install Pushover on your wife's phone. Sign into this mobile app using your Pushover credentials. This will create a new Pushover device on the Pushover server.

Then, add a new Pushover Virtual Device on your Hubitat Hub, use the exact same Pushover Keys that you used on your Pushover Hubitat Device. Then, in the user preferences, select her phone from the list of Pushover devices.

Then, in any Hubitat Automation, simply choose your device, her device, or both devices to send the notifications to.

I have Hubitat Pushover Devices for each of our phones and tablets, all using the exact same Pushover account.

1 Like

That would be the device name list?

Yes.

Have you looked at my Pushover thread and instructions? This was the original Pushover integration before Hubitat added it to the firmware. It is essentially the same.

I just switched over from ST to HE this week. It's been pretty good, except for a few differences such as making scenes and groups. Otherwise a smooth transition.

The automations setup in WebCore for ST made use of SMS notification and by using a global variable and index, I could select which "phoneNumber" to send the message. So, in effect, if a presence device name 'myname' left, I could match 'myname' to @SMS_number and pick out say the 2nd in the list and the SMS would be sent to that phone only. I could then use general PUSH notifications to send to everyone. In addition, I would use Tasker's SMS read ability along with 'Say' task to have it speak the SMS messages from 'Smartthings' (in contacts) so that when whoever was driving it would go through the BT in vehicle and be read.

However, since HE no longer supports SMS, then I starting reaching out for solutions to mimic the method above. I did come to the same conclusion using Pushover, as suggested in this post: create multiple devices and put those device name is a Global variable that is indexed and pull out the matching on and then send notification to that device.

But then it effectively makes for poor automation to execute something like when you want to say {'Welcome Home'+@PO-myname} and also send a group notification to all members, such as, {@PO-myname left the house at $time} and so on. You have to create a PO-device for each member and in preferences select the Device Name. Then in make another virtual device say, PO-All, and select all devices or leave blank.

It would be super fantastic awesome if somehow the automation could pass the variable (device name) to HE hub app and have it select the 'Device Name' where the notification would be sent. Then you could have that variable indexed and and the HE app would know which device to send it to 'automagically'.

Not sure how much would be involved in that from developer side, but I'd be willing to pay per device-name for such a feature.

Also, I do use the Tasker pushover variables to enable the ability to 'say' the messages in the same fashion. I use the [H] tag to mark the to-be-spoken notifications and Tasker has the option to filter based on priority. So that works very well. Maybe the way tasker has the priority filter, WebCore pistons could have something like that added.

I am very grateful for the Tasker Integration!!

Hi
I have a C-5 hub updated to the latest version 2.3.2.128, yet , the pushover app or devices are not integrated.
I tried to install the drivers manually, But I am getting error Capability 'Notification' not found. on line 34.
Screenshot 2022-06-20 221458

I have already Pushover account and the API token.
Could you please help?
Thanks

Yes, the Pushover “Driver” is integrated. In order to add a Pushover device, go to your Devices, the Add Device, the Add Virtual Device. When the virtual device is created, you then change the driver TYPE field to the Pushover driver.

If trying to add my custom driver, please add it to the hub’s Drivers code section, as it is not an App.

Thanks a lot for the quick response,
I already followed your instructions replying to some posts. the pushover does not exist in the device type drop menu as you can see in these snapshots.

I already pasted your code in the hub drivers section. you can see it at the top of the image I sent before with the error.

Cheers

Not sure what to tell you…. It works fine for me. Hubitat’s built-in driver appears under the System drivers heading as shown below. You can also see my User driver as well.

I also re-Imported my custom driver on my Hub, and then clicked Save with no errors whatsoever.

Perhaps you have a corrupted hub database? You might want to first simply reboot your hub to see if that helps at all. If not, save a Backup of your hub to your computer, and the perform a restore of that backup file. See if that helps at all. If not, then you may want to perform a Soft Reset procedure, and then restore that most recent backup as part of that process to see if it improves anything. Last resort would be to create a Support Ticket to see if the Hubitat Team can figure out what is going on.

thanks again.
reb0oted the system and restored from backup, noting happened.
I experienced the same problem with Iblind device. Hubitat and Iblind support told me that the drivers are integrated, but it was not in my hub. Iblind send me the code to install manually, it kept giving me error. they couldn't help me anymore.
then I deleted the line that was giving error and the device worked,

I did the same thing now. I deleted the line (capability "Notification")and it worked.

but now I only find the device to send voice, and missing for sending text

Now I am stuck again. I am giving up.
I don't know what to do

Sounds like your hub is messed up somehow. Did you try the Soft Reset procedure? Have you reached out to @support_team?

1 Like

Deleting the "Notification" capability effectively removes the device from the list of available notification devices. As for missing drivers, it sounds like you have restored an old or bad backup. I recommend performing a Soft Reset, then pick one of the backups saved on your hub.

1 Like

I would like to thank you both for your time.
I reset the hub and proceeded as new hub. I found the pushover and I blind drivers integrated. Then installed the backup, they disappeared again.
I have 36 zone konnected devices for the security, zigbee lights and Iblinds. Using simple rules All working fine. Here are couple of my dashboards.

Since I don’t know what caused the problem, I will start from scratch and test it after every step to find out what is the cause. I will let you know soon.

Regards

1 Like

So Finally solved the problem but couldn't find out what was the root cause. I restored only apps after the Soft reset. Now the notification is working great.

The only problem I have now is setting the for arming Failures and bypass warnings.

I am getting un expected error message trying to load the app. By the way, this problem existed before the soft reset.

Again, I want thank you for the great help.

Cheers

Glad to hear you've resolved the Pushover driver issue, and that the Pushover device is now working as designed.

As for any other issues you may have with the system, may I suggest you create a new thread? Doing so will help to provide the visibility to the specific App you're having an issue with.

2 Likes