Pushover Notifications Driver [Slightly Enhanced]

Pushover does not do SMS's just diect messages to the app...which is required. I believe there are 3rd party clients as well but I have not checked that option out myself.

1 Like

@ogiewon
Sent Pull request for Emergency Notification based on request below.

I have merged the PR.

Question: The Pushover API docs seem to indicate that that using Emergency priority also requires The RETRY and EXPIRE parameters. Maybe those should be user preferences? Thoughts?

1 Like

Thanks Dan…You are correct. And that’s why you shouldn’t rush out code when you wake up.
I used the Emergency notification with IFTTT to “Find my phone” and didn’t read the API in detail for this one. I will add the preferences soon.

But sleepy coding is how you get to spend all day troubleshooting! :wink:

1 Like

Submitted a new pull with retry and expire parameters

I just checked and don’t see the new PR yet…

Try now :blush:

Merged. Thanks!

1 Like

Has anyone considered porting this Pushbullet device over? Pushbullet device with service manager - Projects & Stories - SmartThings Community

This is great, thanks guys!

I was also running into the limits on sms.

@ogiewon or @stephack can you confirm how this works for multiple devices?

Let’s say I have pushover installed on two iPhones but I want different notifications to go to phone 1, phone 2 or both.

In the (hubitat) device settings page, under preferences there’s an option to choose a (pushover) device name. So I’d need to create two devices in hubitat with my pushover credentials, and in the settings for each, select phone 1 or phone 2.

Then I can create rules and set it to notify one or the other phones by selecting the device that’s tied to each phone? Or have I misunderstood how it works?

This is exactly how I use it. I have Pushover installed on my iPhone (1st Hubitat Device), my iPad (2nd Hubitat Device), and on my wife's iPhone and iPad (3rd and 4th Devices.) This allows me to target specific devices, or multiples, as necessary.

1 Like

Cool, thanks Dan!

I do use the same Pushover credentials on all 4 Hubitat devices. I just change the user preference for which Pushover device, and the tone based on user desire.

I also use the exact same Pushover account on my 2nd Hubitat hub that I use for development.

Pretty pleased with the value I am getting from just a $5 investment.

2 Likes

Yup so far I’m really liking it. Particularly the different sounds for urgent vs. non-urgent notifications.

I just started the 7 day trial for free but I anticipate I’ll gladly pay the 5 bucks.

2 Likes

Quick question. I'm a new Hubitat owner coming from an ISY994i w/Insteon and a Revolv hub prior to that.

I was able to add the driver code above. What do I need to do to add my API and user key? I can't for the life of me find where to do it. Thanks! There's a bit of a learning curve coming from the ISY994i.

I'm glad to see Pushover support in Hubitat as I used it extensively in my ISY994i setup.

Welcome! First thing... There is no real reason to add the Pushover Driver code above to your Hubitat Hub. The Hubitat team added this driver to the Hubitat Firmware, so it is already included as a native device driver.

In your Hubitat Hub's web interface, select Devices. In that page, select Add Virtual Device. You will be presented with a window where you can select a name, label, and network id. You can simply type in "Pushover" for each of these. (Note, if you add more than one device, the network ID needs to be unique!) Also select the Pushover Device Driver from the list. Then click SAVE.

Now you can edit the Device's user preferences and enter in your Pushover keys. Once you enter those and click save, additional preferences will be shown that allow you to customize the device.

@ogiewon any reason to think it’ll cause a problem if I switch from the custom driver to the built-in one?

When I first installed it, I didn’t notice that they had already added the driver to the firmware, so I used the custom one.

Should not be a problem. I believe they are the same. On my production hub, I am still using the custom one that @stephack and I wrote. On my development hub I am using the native version. They appear identical to me.

Thanks for the prompt reply @ogiewon I'll give that a try when I get home!

1 Like