Pushover driver going ABSOLUTELY NUTS

I have started getting Pushover notifications at the rate of 3-4 per MINUTE that a door is open. There is nothing happening to trigger these notifications (the door id question is closed). I tested the contact sensor and it works properly in both my dashboard and according to its logs. I contacted Pushover directly and they say my app (Hubitat) is sending the notifications and the issue is not on their end or in any of the devices receiving the notifications. I deleted the API and created a new one to see if this solved the issue, but the notifications stopped for only a couple of hours before they started again. I then deleted the rule that used Pushover to send me notifications (even though according to the Pushover driver logs no notifications were being sent by Hubitat). Regardless, I continue to receive non-stop notifications even though not only there is nothing triggering them, but the rule used to send the notifications was deleted. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I just deleted the Pushover driver altogether to see if this would stop the notifications, but they are still coming...

EDIT 2: I ended up deleting the API after I deleted the Pushover driver. I created a new API and then I readied the Pushover driver and re-added the rules. The issue has stopped after I did this. It is unsettling not knowing what triggered this issue but at least there is a workaround.

1 Like

I see you've got it solved, but for next time, did you check the "In use by" section of the device detail page to see if it could have been something besides the rule you suspect? Enabling logging for that rule would also give you better idea.

In general, device drivers don't log when commands are sent, unless you've got one of Hubitat's newer drivers that do this with debug logging (which only stays enabled for 30 minutes). Community driver behavior may vary in this regard, and even built-in drivers do, too; I'm not familiar with this particular one so can't say for sure, just that this alone isn't a surprise.

My first move would have been to change the battery if it was a battery device. Many sensors send repeated activity alerts as their only way of communicating their distress.

1 Like

My first step was checking the contact sensor was operating properly. I have a rule set up to notify me if a device has a low battery status, which was not triggered, and I also opened and closed the contact sensor several times while looking at the dashboard and the device’s logs and it functioned properly.

Yes, I did check the “in use by” section, but the rule that was sending the notifications was setup so that if a door was open a message would be sent to Pushover, and there was only one rule setup to do that. The rest of the rules there only trigger notifications for change of HSM status and armed/disarmed settings, which were not sending me notifications. I did check the log for that rule as well as the log for the device that was supposedly triggering the messages and they showed no activity that would have caused the issue.

I'm afraid in my experience and that of many others here, you can't rely on battery status as reported by the devices, Anything under around 60% could actually mean almost empty. The rogue/warning events start happening before the battery is dead, obviously, as it would be too late after, so that phase can run for a short time in parallel with fully operational valid sensor reports.

Looks like OP tried to rule out the possibility that it’s actually the device sending false events.