Proper state after manually turning on bulb

I have fallen in love with Pico buttons and they have started to proliferate around my house. I often use buttons 1,2,4 and 5 to each toggle different lights around a room, and then button 3 (the middle round one) to turn all lights off in the region, or the whole floor. Button 3 is the only one my wife can remember to use - but she likes it alot.

Many of my lights are bulbs in lamps that can still be turned on manually (like really manually - the old fashioned way by twisting a switch under the bulb). As you likely know, if you cycle the power slowly enough, GE Zigbee bulbs and hue bulbs, will turn on after a cycle and a half. I have finally convinced my wife that indeed if she is patient and does turn the switch slowly, instead of spinning it like a top, then the lights will indeed go on. This is now her preferred method of lighting many rooms.

So the problem is that if you manually turn a Hue or GE zigbee bulb on from the switch, the Lights Off command doesn't work. Nor does Toggle with the first push. I have to use some other method, like a button with an ON command or Toggle at least once first - even though it has no visible effect, and then I can turn it off.

I'm assuming it's because the state of the bulb is not set correctly in Hubitat. Is there a way that I can do that? I assume it is some kind of polling - I see Z-wave polling app. Is that what it will do? How about for Zigbee? Suggestions on how often to poll without overloading system?

There is no polling for anything besides z-wave non-plus devices. If your zigbee devices are connected to Hubitat, they should update themselves once on. If they are on the Hue bridge, the polling is usually set at 1 minute, but can be set to a shorter interval in the Hue integration app. The easiest coarse of action would be to break the twist switches on the lamps. The turning on and off of zigbee devices will eventually start causing trouble with the mesh if it hasn’t already. Think of it like turning on and off the wifi while trying to download something online.

1 Like

Thanks. Any way to tell if the Zigbee mesh is in trouble? Anyway to clean it up?

You can turn off your zigbee radio for 30 minutes to force a zigbee repair.
You can also use http://YourHubIP/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo to get some information about your mesh.
You may also want to look at this Zigbee Details - Hubitat Documentation and
How to Build a Solid Zigbee Mesh - Hubitat Documentation

2 Likes

I'm 100% zigbee and my Sylvania smart+ builbs don't update HE state after manual operation. Have rule that after cleaners leave that refreshes state then turns off...

Sorry for the misinformation; you are correct. It has been a long time since a light was manually turned off and on in my house, but trying it with a Sylvania smart+ recessed light shows me that it does not update the state without a refresh or toggle.
Do you run "refresh" as a custom command?

No simple refresh...
Refresh: LivingRoom Lamp
Delay 0:00:05
IF (LivingRoom Lamp(off) is on FALSE) Off: LivingRoom Lamp

Mileage may vary w bulb/switch/pocketsocket :grinning:

2 Likes