[PROJECT] Driver for WeatherFlow API

Although there are some weather fanatics that have to measure everything according to national standards, most don’t feel that way. Few people have an ideal setting so they mount their equipment where it is best for them. I’m not interested in what the wind is on top of my house, I wanted to know what the wind will be in my face. So take your measurements where it makes the most sense for you.

That might be the smartest thing I've heard all day. :+1:

1 Like

Hey Snell, just wanted to say thanks for working on this. I'm still probably a few weeks away from getting my Tempest, but I've been starting to think through locations and how to leverage my Hubitat for alerts, automation.

Quick question, are you using any dashboards with the weather data? I am going to have an old iPad 2 to allow everyone to see info at a quick glance. I'll likely just start with their app but would be interested if anyone has come up with something better and more integrated with Hubitat down the road.

Sorry, no. I barely ever use even the built-in dashboard. I do have one set up as a weather one, but I just use the basic weather tile and a couple attribute tiles. Nothing fancy.

I have not looked around for alternative apps for weather, although I imagine there are some as some people have posted pictures showing more elaborate ones.

My tempest arrived!

3 Likes

Let me know how it works out! I bet I will have to make changes... but that is part of offering up a driver.

Just installed the driver, I have data. No issues so far.

Good news! Thanks. Still have plans to overhaul how it processes the data but as long as it is working I have a bit of time to try to complete my other projects (both Hubitat and not).

2 Likes

I will take you up on this!

@snell, looking forward to more improvements. I am interested in using the tempest for when it rains it turns my hue bulbs blue and when a temperature reaches a certain threshold it will alert me to use the airco.. and the lux meter for lights control etc etc.
Thank you for creating the driver!

What does the 8355/8339 mean?

• rain_Sensor : 8355
  • lightning_Sensor : 8339
  • wind_Sensor : 8355
  • air_temperature_humidity_Sensor : 8339

etc.

Thanks in advance,
Alan

If you are using the Child Devices feature enabled, those are the sensor IDs for the sensor components that WeatherFlow returns. To make it easier for me to place the information for each child properly I need to be able to remember the ID between different portions of code, so a state Variable is created that lists their number. So the 8355 would be the sensor components that have your rain and wind sensors, 8339 would have the lightning, temp, & humidity.

If you enable the child devices, these should be part of their name as well.

Thanks for clarification. I thought they were codes.

Confused about children. You state that the Temperature is part of the sensor 8339, and that would be a child device, but this information is also (?) returned to the parent. Correct?

Thanks,
Alan

Yes. I try to make sure that every piece of data is listed on the Parent. What can happen is that if there are multiple sources of the same TYPE of data it can get confusing for users to check.

For example, there is Air Temperature & Air Temperature Indoor (plus others).

Which temperature do people want a rule for? They would have to create a rule with a custom attribute and select the correct one from the parent. But if they have children enabled, they could select the Indoor Station child and it will have the "normal" temperature attribute displayed (plus I still have it show Air Temperature Indoor so people know). If they want the outdoor air temperature, they can have it check the outdoor sensor (in this case the "air_temperature_humidity_Sensor ").

Plus it matches up easier if people add sensors to the system or in the future when WeatherFlow comes out with new sensors that add additional abilities. I still plan on having everything available in the parent but the children make some things easier.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. Appreciate the work you've done.

Posted a new version of the main driver (0.3.2). Mainly I started adjusting how data was processed to make it a touch more efficient. At the same time I discovered one attribute that had been "hiding" from me, so that was added in.

Also, a new version of the child driver was posted (0.8.0) that, from the WeatherFlow perspective, just has that attribute (number of lightning strikes in the last hour if I recall correctly).

1 Like

Installed your driver and have it feeding data to InfluxDB. It's working great. Thanks for doing this! I did make a tweak in my copy to use inches of mercury instead of psi for the pressure readings when converting to imperial.

Just noticed you're in Webster. I grew up near bay and klem. Most of my family is still there.

Glad it is helpful, I am going to change it overall from PSI to inHg... that is what my other weather drivers have also... not sure why that one is PSI actually.

Moved to Webster about 8 years ago (not sure how it is that long already)... North of Klem off Holt.

Is it at the link in the first post, or did you forget to bump up the version number before posting it?????

New version (0.3.3) posted, changed psi to inHg for pressure data.

You can use the link at the top (I do not usually post new links in the topic since I do not rename the driver usually) or if you go into the Drivers Code page for it you can select the Import button. That will automatically be populated with the URL. After you import it CHECK to make sure it imported the correct version. I never leave multiple up but since it is all on webpages I have found that some browsers cache it. So when you try to import 0.3.3... it actually imports 0.3.2 (or whatever you last had). In those cases you may need to go to the link and refresh the webpage.

1 Like