[PROJECT] Driver for Blink API

I've read through this thread and can't see a resolution for this. I'm using the Blink API just to arm/disarm the cameras. Was working fine. Stopped working a while ago and this is what I see in the logs when I arm/disarm them using a virtual switch. I see the same when trying it directly in the device though.

Can anyone give me a place to start with resolving this?

When you are dealing with multiple cameras you need to make sure there is a delay between sending the commands to arm/disarm them or the API will respond with that Conflict message.

It generally seems that at least a 5 second delay between each camera gives the API enough time to process that one and then be ready for the next one.

Hmmm. I'm only sending one Arm System command on the parent device. Not sending to individual cameras at all. Maybe I misunderstand. My Blink system does have 10 cameras. But, I was trying to send to the BlinkAPI (My name for the parent device.) If I click on ArmSystem under one camera in the device page itself I get the same conflict error.

OK. This is weird. I just tried to arm the system from the Blink App. (iOS) And I can't. It responds with System busy!

I'm thinking the sync module might be going bad. I tried power cycling it and it took about 5 minutes to boot. I have a new Blink Sync Module 2 that I never put into service. So, I will try replacing the original sync module with the newer one and see what happens. I've always been hesitant to do this, because I have the original grandfathered system with free cloud storage.

It should still work. I have an XT2 and a Outdoor gen1 on the same sync module 2 and the XT2 has access to cloud while the Outdoor gen1 is saving to a USB stick.

However IFTTT triggers do NOT work with the (unsubscribed) Outdoor gen1, only the (grandfathered) XT2s.

Well, that was interesting. Posting this here in case it helps anyone else. Replaced the old 2017 era Blink Sync Module with a Module 2. Yes, everything works including the ability to arm/disarm using the Blink Integration from @snell. The Conflict errors went away. Thanks for responding.

2 Likes

I have alwayes error on the side of delay. I use 10 seconds and everything has ticked along just fine.

Continuing the discussion from Blink camera integration:

I am looking to use blink cameras as motion sensors. And would also like to arm/disarm. Is there a driver that will allow this? If so, could you share?

The drivers that this thread is for (see first post) can certainly do the arm/disarm part. Motion detection is probably not going to be what you might want though as the drivers are polling the API for the data (they cannot receive a push notification or however Blink does it for their own app).

1 Like

Best thing I’ve found for the motion is to use the Alexa app (don’t need to have an Alexa device) to set a virtual motion switch in HE.

4 Likes

I realized today that my cameras are not working anymore like they did a couple of days ago.

I found the following error message in the log file

I looked through the postings but were not able to find any related post.

The only change I made was setting up a passkey for my Amazon account.
Any ideas?

Edit: I can neither arm nor disarm the system or enable, disable motion detection. The link between HE and Blink seems to be broken.

Thanks in advance

406 is unusual - response not available in the format requested.

Thanks for your response. Any ideas what causes the "unusual - response"?

As I said I didn't change anything regarding the blink cameras but updated the hub to the latest release this morning.
Just restarted the blink module but no luck. :frowning:

I made this change (from IFTTT) when you mentioned it some time ago (thanks!). Works really well (although the app is a UX mess). When it comes to Blink cameras, Alexa routines have two added benefits over IFTTT:

• The motion notification appears to be always sent immediately (IFTTT was usually fast but sometimes there was a significant delay, up to a couple of hours !)
  • works with both subscribed and unsubscribed cameras. IFTTT only seems to work with subscribed cameras (no official answer from Blink about this, after much back and forth...).
1 Like

Code hasn't changed recently to the best of my knowledge, so I'd try a reboot of the hub and if that doesn't work maybe a repair from HPM to force a recompile of the code.

Unfortunately no change after a hub reboot and a HPM repair. Still same behavior and same error messages.

Is there anything I have to setup after the HPM repair?

Thanks

Shouldn't have to do anything. Normally due to an Accept requirement in the headers that can't be fulfilled, but I don't see where @snell has any in the code.

I googled a bit about the http 406 error with blink. Got a little bit more light into the darkness.

I read a lot about VPN which causes the 406 issue. The strange thing is, the blink sync module and the HE hub are connected to the same net. Blink module using WiFi, C7 HE hub via LAN.

Never had such problem brfore. No VPN active in this network. If the WiFi mesh network could cause any problems?

I did the same... Blink also have an article on the topic -> https://support.blinkforhome.com/en_US/wi-fi-or-network-issues/how-to-resolve-http-406-errors which I don't think will help given your not using a VPN.

1 Like