Prohibit Custom Apps being Published in Community

137 devices. 59 are using system defined code.
28 app types. 15 are using system defined code.
7 custom ones are disabled only because I do not use them.
I would suggest I pretty much fall into the average user category so this gives an idea of how much user defined code is a must.
BTW non were written by me.

Getting "certified" means this costs HE more $$. This then affects current development. Certified applications usually requires the developer to pay money for developing an app/driver for their use and then share to the community for owners who do not have development skills.

The CodeShare is perfect for custom code. Built-in Apps in your HE user interface is the supported apps. The Add-User App in the UI is fairly self explanatory.

As others posted I do not see any other platform doing this that doesn't charge the developers $$ to become "certified." OpenHab, Hass.IO and ST do not offer any certification process but rather the support of the community to make their home automation systems better.

2 Likes

Do you expect your car manufacturer to certify everything you put on or in your car? Did they certify that charging cable in your center console? Did they certify the gas you use? Did they certify that pen you have in your car in case you need to write something down?

See how ridiculous it sounds to have everything certified? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I feel it's my civic duty to reply to this topic.
As @bobbles points out it's quite obvious when you click that Add User App button you're on you're own beyond that point.

I too have qualms with how user code can be allowed to affect over all stability, I feel like official apps and functionality should be protected, and user code sandboxed in a way it can't hurt other things.
But that's another topic, to outright block Custom Apps, especially to sensor that on the community site would be un-American.
Patriotic piccolos play

4 Likes

Agree 100%. It would be nifty if the user code space was sand boxed from the system code space.

3 Likes

I'm kinda surprised that Hubitat doesn't have data on how their platform is running. You can collect data and not sell it. Just use it to improve the product. They worked hard on Rule Machine 4, but without adoption numbers, they have no idea if anyone is really using it unless people say they are in the forums or through support tickets.

Not having insight into your own product and how its used seems like shortchanging yourself on how to deliver features and requests from the community. You could spend a lot of time and resources developing a feature or App that was highly requested from the community, but only finding that no one uses it.

That being said, any argument that references numbers, except for support tickets, is invalid because no one knows.

That was the point I was trying to politely make at the beginning of this.

My two cents.... I'm a newbie to HE but this conversation seems so irrelevant. HE is a platform with some built in apps for the basics. The basics work reliably and the Hubitat folks look like they do a great job supporting it. Developers develop code that runs on the platform. Most of it works but some falls short and that is no secret. Look at any computer platform (Windows, Mac, etc) it is no different except HE is much more stable :slight_smile: On a computer platform you get to choose what applications you run on top of the basic OS. Some of it works and some of it doesn't. Most of it working or not, you pay for. At least the HE code is free for the most part. If you don't like it, uninstall it, and you lost nothing. So what have you lost other than the time invested in installation.

As far as certification, I run software on other platforms that is "certified" and some of it still doesn't work. So I have to ask... what is wrong with the way it is? If it ain't broke.... Don't try to fix it.

One possible aid to us newbies would be user ratings or comments on the code maybe a 1-5 star rating by the user community. Other than that I would rather see the developer spend the time developing & supporting nice apps and drivers and not spending time on certification. If it gets too complicated then it won't be fun anymore and they will move on to other things.

Again, just my two cents.

8 Likes

That's a good point.

:point_up: This - exactly!

1 Like

So you don't run custom code, but you want to make it harder for other people to run, share, and talk about custom code? You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't share it.

2 Likes

I think the topic has played out. I think you're missing what I'm getting at. I wanted to advocate for a better system on dealing with custom code. It has the potential to cause issues and Support says that majority of their calls are due to custom code issues.

It's easy just to not rock the boat or "if its not broke, don't fix it", but where's the innovation and progress with that? That just makes it to where you can't scale and grow that platform.

EDIT: The thread was split, so some of you may not have read how it all started.

I agree that "the topic has played out". My referenced comment, "if it's not broke, don't fix it" was applied to the process not the product. Innovation usually is a product of focus by visionaries, not bureaucracy (certifications) tieing the hands of the innovators. I have been in IT for over 40 years and it is important to note that development is more of an art than a science. Developers have to imagine, create, build and reap the satisfaction of their idea coming to life. Sometimes that idea works and sometimes it doesn't, but the process is healthy. Sometimes the next guy will build on that idea and make a better product. I salute the guys that participate in that process and give us (freely) something that we can use and maybe spark somebody to make a better one.... Also a note, I think that most people got your message and I appreciate you bringing up the topic. The beauty of this Country is our ability to speak what we believe, and still respect those that we may not totally agree with. Differing opinions are healthy and productive. Sometimes they "ignite the passion" and the debate is a good thing... at the end of the day we all still respect each other.

2 Likes