Problems with Zigbee Switch/Bulb Status

I have a lot of Zigbee Switches and Bulbs that aren't sending updates back to the hub. For example, the bulb or switch is on, but when looking at the status on the hub (dashboard, in the hub itself, etc.), the switch shows off. Seems to be happening when a command is sent but the device doesn't actually perform the command. A refresh will pick up the proper status but I'm getting to the point where these devices are wrong more often than they are right.

What am I missing that I need to do to get this fixed?

Were any of these devices where Hubitat didn't automatically detect the correct driver on pairing (and you later switched)? If so, be sure to hit "Configure." For Zigbee devices, this usually affects when and what they report back to the hub. You may want to try hitting it even if you didn't change drivers...maybe even a couple times for good luck. :slight_smile:

If that doesn't work, I'd start to look at your mesh. Your mention of "bulbs" makes me concerned, as many of these are bad repeaters and may eat messages intended for other devices instead of passing them along. That could include either commands to the devices or messages back from them, so you'd likely notice other problems too, but it's hard to troubleshoot (unless you have a Zigbee sniffer and can see what's going on). What kinds of bulbs are these? Sengleds should be OK--they aren't repeaters--but Cree, Hue, GE Link, and at least early Sylvania/Osram bulbs have been problematic for many. There are more that I'm not sure anyone is sure about (newer ones may be better). Keeping them on a Hue Bridge or separate hub would be the workaround in that case.

But hopefully your problem is easier to fix. :slight_smile:

1 Like

All of the switches were that way but I did a configure on them when I set them up. I can’t recall if I had to do that to the bulbs or not but I probably did. They’ve all been working great until lately though. I don’t know what caused this to start happening (unless I have too many plugs - I did just introduce a bunch of them to Hubitat for the first time when I put up our Christmas lights). Those are all Securifi Peanut Plugs.

SYLVANIA Smart+ ZigBee Adjustable White A19 LED Bulb, Works with SmartThings and Amazon Echo Plus, Hub Needed for Amazon Alexa and The Google Assistant

Those are the bulbs I have. Like I said, have been working well until recently. I bet the Christmas lights are the cause. Thoughts?

Ooohhh. Some have experienced issues with these. There are probably more threads, but here is a sample of what you will find if you dig a bit.

1 Like

I have those bulbs, and so does @Ken_Fraleigh. The bulbs are the newer ones and work fine for me & Ken. It's probably the peanut plugs, they change routes like mad, and 11 plugs could flood the hub with messages. Also keep an eye on your hub PAN ID, make sure it doesn't change

1 Like

Well great. I've got 18 of these things :sob:

I guess I just hit that "breaking point" mentioned in one of those posts. 7 of them are connected to the "Christmas" setup that I mentioned. So I "only" had 11 and very rarely had a problem. But I guess pulling out these plugs that, while paired, were offline must've pushed me over the edge.

No recourse but to just replace them? I do have a ST hub but I don't want to go back to that.

Use the Smartthings hub for just these plugs and Hubconnect to join the hubs together?

1 Like

I guess I could put the Christmas ones over on ST since they'll obviously only be up for about a month more and see if my HE woes go away.

FYI - they did. Nearly everything is working well now with my total # of peanuts back down to 11 on HE and 7 on ST. I don't like keeping ST up and going (had no need until now) but I suppose it's temporary and if all it has to do is run Christmas lights, then so be it.

I do have one lingering issue that I'm not sure of - those bulbs I mentioned earlier are grouped together (Groups and Scenes app). This morning when I went out to my car, I noticed they were both still on (even though HE is supposed to turn them off at sunrise). HE had done its job in that it had turned off the group, but the two bulbs were still showing on (on my dashboard you could see the group was off but the two bulbs were still on). I turned both bulbs off individually without issue but what would make the group misbehave like that?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.