Problems with removing Z-Wave node (Old Zooz power strip)

I have a problem with my Z-Wave mesh and it appears that the problem revolves around a failed node that I cannot remove. I had a Zooz power strip that fell victim to a lightning strike. The strip was fried and there was no way to properly exclude it from the mesh. I removed the device but the Z-Wave node was still there. I tried to repair the node several times until the "remove" option appeared. I tried the remove option but it still isn't gone. I rebooted and that did not remedy the situation. I tried removal several times to no avail. I let it sit for several days (thinking that the nightly cleanup would help) and have tried to remove it several times since but I cannot get rid of it. It is causing issues on my mesh. I looked through all of the the posted articles and tried just about everything mentioned. Is there any way to completely remove it? Any help would be appreciated....

I had one that I removed as well and had a ghost node. I had to use a Zwave stick to get it out of there. It was very stubborn.

Are you on the most recent zwave radio firmware? The zwave updates are distributed periodically along with platform updates but have to be installed separately from the Zwave details page. If there's no option there to update then you are on the most current. Sometimes shutting down your hub and removing power (at the wall, not the micro connector) for a minute or two helps as well. And make sure your zooz power strip is completely removed from power. I assume if it's fried it is!

Barring that, I'd go the zwave stick route.

I was not aware of that... I DO have the update firmware button and am now downloading the firmware. I will apply that and see if it works, I had already tried the power off route that you mention. Fingers crossed.....

Maybe you'll get lucky! I know my mesh seems happier in general and node removal has improved steadily in the past few updates. If the update fails, try again but let your hub sit on the zwave details page for 10 minutes or so before attempting.

I keep up to date on the releases and have never done the separate firmware update... Maybe thats the problem.

They come out infrequently generally a couple of months after Silicon Labs releases a new version of the stack. It's not obvious when there is one available but it is posted in the release notes of the platform release.

Thats good info... Thanks for the info...I'll let you know how it turns out

1 Like

The firmware update may take more than one try to complete.

If it falls there first time, try shutting down your hub, unplug and re-plug, restart, go to Z-Wave details page, wait 5m, then start the update.

If you do unplug, and not to beat a dead horse, do it at the power supply not the power cable on the hub as some had flaky connections and you don't want to risk breaking it.

1 Like

Well I applied the firmware update, which appeared to go successfully. Rebooted the hub, then tried to remove the failed device. It will not remove. I will say that my mesh does seem more stabile now. I will try to unplug the hub (from the adapter end) when I get home and see if that helps. I will also wait overnight and try again.

If all else fails the stick worked like a charm.

What stick do you suggest and what software do I need to get?

Pretty sure these instructions still work. The 700 series stick from Zooz should do the trick. The one I have isn't available anymore.

Thanks I just ordered the silicon labs stick $20 at digikey (I have had bad experiences with Zooz). When it gets in, I will give it a go.

Same with Zooz although the new 700 series hasn’t bit me yet.

Yeah that works fine... You will need Simplicity Studio, available from Silicon Labs. It is not appropriately named but it works and the instructions are still valid. And it's free. FYI you have to use the Windows version.

1 Like

Using the stick looks scarier than it is. :smiley:

2 Likes

They do...

Here's the source topic for more context.

1 Like

Hey guys. I followed your advice and got rid of the ghost device using the stick and process above. Just an FYI the Mac Version of their software will not talk to the stick. I used my VMware Fusion Windows instance and installed the Windows version on my virtual machine and it works just fine.

Now that I have the stick is there any way to do zigbee sniffing and any other neat stuff you can do with it?

Thanks again for all of the help.

1 Like