Problems with new C7 hub ethernet connection

Currently have a smartthings hub which the setup was so simple for. Just purchased a new C7 hubitat hub and to say I’m disappointed is an understatement.

Can’t even get it connected.

Connect ethernet to my router via supplied ethernet cable (Asus AX11000).

Connect power cable

Light turns blue

Go to portal.hubitat.com

Eventually finds hub

Click discovered hub and new webpage opens but then states the connection has timed out

START ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!!!

Same thing time after time after time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Occasionally when I click the discovered hub it manages to load the page but then when I try and do anything from that page it just hangs on connection times out.

What a pile of junk!!!!!!

Can't get to the diagnostics page top reset so what do I do with this heap of junk?

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your new C-7 Hub. If it is stuck with a blue light, then I believe it is struggling to download the current platform firmware. I would recommend you reach out to Hubitat Support at support@hubitat.com as I am sure @bobbyD and the Hubitat Team will help get this issue resolved as soon as possible.

2 Likes

And

Hope this helps

Thanks for all the replies but I can't even get to the url to force the lan auto configuration setting, just times out trying to connect. Can't do anything with it at all. I had really high hopes for this device but now it looks like it's going straight back in it's box and getting sent back for a refund.

That may be a bit hasty, I've just got my first Hubitat and it's worked like it says on the tin, so it is possible. Are you sure you won't at least try a replacement hub or some tech support?

4 Likes

I had an issue getting mine to connect to my router but the option to connect by MAC address worked just fine. Sorry you are having difficulties.

So hopefully have sorted it now by connecting it to a different switch and running the link to fix the issue. Will move it back to the other switch after I've updated the firmware. A very annoying start and one that should be fixed before the units are shipped.

1 Like

So the fix seems to work for the router switch ports but not for my TP-Link managed switch.
I have even tried configuring the TP-Link switch port to 100MF but still does not work. Not ideal but at least I can work with it now.
Thanks everyone for all your help.

1 Like

Do you regret buying the junk now?

3 Likes

Are you going to go completely ballistic every time the cutting edge of localized DIY automation doesn't go according to plan? That would be bad for your health.

9 Likes

Come on guys. Give him a break. I wouldn't say making ethernet work is that cutting edge or something you don't expect to work out of the box.

I'd be pretty frustrated too if a new shiny wasn't working out of the box.

8 Likes

Sorry to hear about your rough start. Welcome to the community.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Hubitat community! Though your first experience here is not the most pleasant, you will find this to be a very helpful group.

We all get frustrated when the most basic things don't go according to the norm but I assure you that clearly stating what's wrong without bashing the product will get you the most desirable assistance.

9 Likes

Second that thought. It sucks when you buy something and it doesnt "just work". But I hope to hear that you do actually like the platform once you get it all working.

1 Like

That is strange, I have a similar setup as I have an Asus router and a TP Link ( TL-SG108E) switch too. I connected my hub to the TP Link and everything worked without a problem. Sorry it did not go as easy for you. You don't have any VLAN's setup on that port that could be causing an issue do you? Also, I just came over from ST last week and I am very happy with HE so far. So don't give up and give it a chance.

Switch

Switch2

1 Like

Well despite the initial battle with the network I've managed to port most stuff over from smartthings. Very similar to smartthings so didn't need much re-learning. Still a mystery about the TP-Link switch but having to use the router isn't a big problem. It may be that the vlan configuration is causing the problem as someone suggested but I can't change that without major works. Decided to just move over my webcore pistons for now so at least I get everything back up and running quickly. I can play at leisure with the other automation options.
The only device I can't get working is a zipato siren, pairs fine but can't find a driver that works with it. Anyone any recommendations for an indoor siren which has proven compatibility?
Other devices that are a little problematic are the xiaomi vibration sensors which keep dropping off. Had this problem with smartthings too every now and then so hopefully it will just be a temporary problem.

Thanks to everyone that helped and apologies for the initial rant.

1 Like

Welcome to the Hubitat community. If you have any future issues, please don’t hesitate to ask, most community members are pretty good with assistance. Sorry your initial experience was a bit rocky. Peace, Russ

Hello.
I don't have my C7 yet, but I also had the same Ethernet issues.
I have a Asus AX rt-88u with that very same switch, the TL-SG108E.
I gave up quickly, just put my C5 hubs directly on the router. (It has 8 ports).
That worked, and I'm not sure why it didn't work on the switch.

Can we please get past calling all of this technology bleeding edge? I get that this hub is unique in that it processes locally, but you can buy most of this zigbee and z-wave crap at Best Buy, Walmart and Home Depot. Home automation had been popularized over the past 4 years with things like Amazon Echo.

Also know that the standards have had many revisions but zigbee has been around since 2006 and Z-wave since ‘99.

This is similar to calling WiFi cutting-edge.

While Home automation isn’t as pervasive WiFi the technology has been around for a while.

1 Like

So a couple of weeks or so in and despite the initial 'getting off the ground' problem and a few minor issues to get to grips with along the way I am now very happy with the setup. Yesterday's hub update went without hitch and now does appear to be noticeably quicker. Coming from smartthings and deciding to stick with Webcore, at least for now, made the learning curve and migration process relatively straight forward.
The forum, apart from a couple of people (see above replies), seems to be full of knowledgeable and helpful people. I'll just ignore the obvious attempts of trolling by the minority, it seems there always has to be one or two lurking around.

5 Likes