Problem with Two ZWave Devices

Yep. Thatā€™s what I did. It was unclear to me whether Somfy was using the ā€œlong wire antennaā€ approach or wavelength multiple/fraction. So, when I did it on the 26931/26933, I just exactly doubled the antenna length. Itā€™s best to solder a slightly longer antenna and then cut to length.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve read 8in is the magic number for a US zwave frequency. Iā€™ll try that. Worst case I ruin a relay that isnā€™t working anyway!

1 Like

The existing antenna is probably about 3.25" overall? According to math that is what it should be anyway. So you probably want a 6.5" antenna.

According to the spec sheet, this runs at 908.4 HZ https://www.enerwaveautomation.com/wp-content/uploads/products/zwnrsm1s/ZWN-RSM1-Plus-0208160043-02.pdf

4 Likes

Seems about right. I didnā€™t measure but Iā€™d say itā€™s about 3in. Iā€™ll play around tomorrow and see what happens.

1 Like

We knew those engineering courses would be useful someday!

2 Likes

Most of what Iā€™m seeing says a 5/8 wavelength antenna is optimal for Zwave and which makes the lengths for US Zwave

908.42MHz : wavelength = 0.33001526m -> 12.99inches -> ā… wavelength = 8.11inches

916MHz : wavelength 0.32728434m -> 12.88inches -> ā… wavelength = 8.05inches

1 Like

And if that doesnā€™t work haps something discrete like this?

1 Like

Do you have a floodlight fixture on the house? I use one of these (actually I have the first gen model) HS-FLS100+ G2 Z-Wave Smart Floodlight Sensor | HomeSeer and it gives me 90' range to a motion sensor I stuck out in the backyard.

1 Like

I have one of the first gen ones already. Not sure is the Gen2 has better range? Mine is probably ~100ft away from these devices.

As a plan B, does anyone know if you can buy tasmota sonoff relays, or do I have to flash them myself? Flashing sounds like a bit of a pain. I'm really trying to keep this simple. Again, it used to "just work" on a C5, so I don't want to get super crazy just to get somethign working that already did!

Did you look at the Shelly dual? It's WiFi but fully supported from Hubitat.

I didn't. Is it local though? Really trying to to avoid cloud.

quote:

• EMBEDDED WEB SERVER - You can set up Shelly without the need of any additional controller or hub, thanks to the embedded web interface.

/quote

Awesome! This may be the winner if I can't get the zwave going! Unfortunately I'll need two single relays (the two devices are too far apart) and it looks like the single relay is almost the same price as the double.

My mistake. I read your OP with "Enerwave Relays" and just jumped an opinion you meant the dual Enerwaves.

Np. I own a couple dual enerwave but I was never able to get them to pair with HE

We have been expecting a Hubitat built in driver for the Enerwave Zwave Plus dual relay for some time. There are two versions of the driver that is now floating around.
If you can't get that to work, I suggest going with the AEOTEC nano. It has a better antenna.
If that doesn't fit your requirements, I suggest using the Zwave RGBGenie device (for which there is a built in driver), and it's not expensive.

Worked great for an hour. Hubitat said ā€œhold my beerā€ and promptly ended that.

I tried putting a Ge outdoor outlet next to the lamppost. All that did was cause the Ge outlet to stop working too. So discouraging. The C7 seems to have a far worse radio than the C5.

Here is my resent experience with ZWave Disaster.
I have a related (relatively long) thread for this case:

In short;

• All ZWave related problems started immediately after moving from C-5 to C-7;
  • Adding repeaters did not do any good at all.
    I installed a dedicated Aeotec 7 repeater but this specific one is not doing any
    routing at all after about 6+ weeks being installed.
    Also populated virtually every outlet with Plugin Outlet or Dimmer just for
    routing reason. Neither one is doing any routing.
    All my routers - are few Aeotec Micro Dimmers installed about 2 years ago
    originally on C-5 hub and migrated to C-7 via Hub Migrate option.

Also I had to clean up ZWave network from few ghosts and retire bunch of
Zooz toys which worked perfectly fine with C-5 hub.

Yeah. The C7 definitely works for some people, but I'd recommend anyone who has a working C5 to not upgrade. There seems to be very little benefit, and lots of challenges for some of us.

1 Like