Problem with simple rule

Hi,

I'm new to Hubitat and am trying out different things to get up-to-speed.

I created a simple rule to respond to a push of a button from a WallMote Quad device by setting the set point temp of a Honeywell T6 Pro t'stat.

When trying to add the action for the t'stat I get this error:

groovy.json.JsonException: Lexing failed on line: 1, column: 2, while reading 'o', no possible valid JSON value or punctuation could be recognized. on line 1184 (method mainPage)

A similar rule that just sets a virtual device on in response to the push of the button works fine.

The t'stat seems to work from the device page.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Frederick

At what specific point does the error occur? Can you explain your process step-by-step? Might help point toward a solution or at least a workaround.

And if you haven't already, try deleting the rule and starting from scratch.

Thanks for the feedback.

I did try deleting the rule and starting over a few times - no difference.

Adding the trigger (When Aeon WallMote button 3 pushed) works fine.

Adding the action to control the thermostat is fine up through selecting the desired thermostat.

It is when I click the "Update" button I get the error.

Frederick

You shouldn't need to click "update." That just refreshes the list of available devices, if needed. Once you check the Box for your stat, just click anywhere on the "white space" outside of the list area.

This is likely a problem with your thermostat driver. If it's a community driver, the developer may need to fix this. If it's a built-in driver, they should have all been updated recently, but a"Configure" or just "Save Device" to get these attributes updated if they were not consistent with the expectations originally may help. Alternatively, you can try these steps yourself:

Substitute appropriate values for both if needed, depending on actual capabilities.

1 Like

Thanks - I did not know that.

Frederick

Sure enough, I made the changes you specified and now creating the rule generated no errors and it works just fine.

Is there a way to save the updated driver if I needed it for future use?

Thanks very much for sharing your knowledge.

Frederick

If you didn't change the driver code (which you can't ifmits built-in), you shouldn't need to do anything different going forward, assuming the underlying driver issue was indeed fixed. This might be a one-time issue that lingers after initial creation if they weren't (I think all the built-in drivers have been standardized this way; community code may vary, but should be, and it's something anyone with the code could do if needed).

The issue of an error during rule creation has been solved.

But setting the tstat modes of auto, off, heat, e-heat, cool (as you posted) didn't change the modes that can be set. The only modes that can be set from the Hubitat are off, heat and cool. It shows an option for emergency but this does the same as heat.

If you select auto from the tstat it displays in the Hubitat device. The tstat doesn't actually display a "full time" auto indication, it displays heat or cool depending on what it is doing. When you select "auto" it gives a brief display of auto mode but then shifts to heat or cool.

Much to learn.

Thanks, Frederick

Most apps will read the supported capabilities and show you the appropriate options(if this one isn't, I'm not sure why, but you could re-create it and see if it maybe changes?). But you'd need to match the supported capabilities that you set in the driver with what the device actually supports; the specific list I linked to was just one example. Normally the driver will do this for you, so it's not something you'd usually have to do.

He are some screen shots of the T6 Device page with the changes you suggested.

As you can see the options for Mode and Fan Mode do not match the actual available modes.

With the current state of the driver I can come close to doing what I need but it assumes that no one has changed the mode of the tstat from auto. And that is likely a poor assumption.

Who is in charge of drive development? Can end users get the source code so we can fix the drivers ourselves?

Thanks, Frederick

Hubitat T6 Mode Options
Hubitat T6 Fan Options
Hubitat T6 Current States

The device detail page (what your screenshot is) will show a fixed list, at least at the moment. This is statically populated by the the platform unless the driver overrides the standard commands as custom, which most won't, and even then, dynamic capabilities on the device detail page are limited. So, at least for now, there isn't anything you can do to change that. But normally, you'd be controlling the device with an app (automation) instead of manually, and most apps will read the "supported..." attributes and give you an appropriate UI.

Thanks much for that information.

When I was creating the rule the pull-downs did show the correct values. I was just a bit surprised that the pull-downs on the device page didn't do the same.

I am still facing the issue where I cannot set the tstat to "auto" mode so that I can insure the correct more regardless of what someone may have done at the tstat.

Thanks again, Frederick

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.